Sick Pleco With White Marks On Belly

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
GER1023
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: LA, California
Location 2: Los Angeles County, USA
Interests: Cichlids n Pleco's

Sick Pleco With White Marks On Belly

Post by GER1023 »

Hi I wanted to know if you could help me find out whats wrong with this pleco. Its not mine it belongs to someone from another forum but you seem to respond faster then they do plus you know more. Ive seen it on Pleco's at my job (Wal*Mart) and always wondered what it was. Here it is let me know what should be done so I could relay the message

Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

What is wrong!

He is not eating ...
Either the food is not good for him, the time of feeding unappropriate and too many disturbing t ankmate for himto eat in peace, or unappropriate water conditions...
we really need to know more about....

But when looking at the level of famina he has I doubt he will make it ...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
GER1023

Post by GER1023 »

"I have a few different kinds of gold fish, two bala sharks, two irridescent sharks, one black shark, 3 small pictus catfishand it is a 110 gallon aquarium. I had 3 koi in there but I finally found them a new home yesterday. I feed them ALOT, they are always getting algae disks and fresh veggies. Not to mention sinking shrimp pellets and all the other fish foods. I think I am going to treat both tanks with the melafix right now as the other adonis are starting to get white bellies. Hopefully that will cure them and prevent this from happening to them also."

That was from the owner but they said they had bought some black moores from there local walmart and put them in there but they died right away. They put that one in a quarintine tank and giving it the same food and treating with melafix. The other Andonis's that looked ok now are getting the same thing. They say though there getting more active though they never do give the water levels as far as ammonia and all that goes. Sorry for not giving enough info.
Yann
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Well the pop isn't really great...

What the water parameters

Cheers
Yann
GER1023

Post by GER1023 »

They said the nitrites were high but everything else was normal and thats why they got rid of the Koi. From what they said though is that the white marks are going away and the belly isnt sunken in as much no more its almost back to normal. Seems like they figured out the problem themselves. Thanks for the help anyways though. Never knew that would happen to a pleco with just high nitrites. Thanks Again
Yann

Post by Yann »

high level of nitirite are jut killer for any kind of fish
the tank population should be rethink...
the tank i also certainly underfilter...
cheers
Yann

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”