Dissolved Co2 levels

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Nik_Boyd
Location 1: Cheshire

Dissolved Co2 levels

Post by Nik_Boyd »

I've recently purchased a C02 system for my 50g tank, and included with it was a permanent Co2/PH kit. Now, I love German made equipment, as with all German equipment it seems very solidly built. But can they translate a manual (properly, in clear English) or provide much information? not a chance.

In the manual it says to start with 1 bubble in every other chamber of the diffuser (a JBL diffuser column if anyone is familiar with them...) and increase gradually over a number of days. I kept it like that for a few days, but the permanent Co2 test is registering a PH of 6.4, and that Co2 content is too high. I've now turned the Co2 down, to about 1 bubble in every 4 chambers. I've done a seperate liquid (Hagen) PH test, and it still shows up as the normal 7.4 None of my fish are showing distress, but I was hoping that someone could shed some light as to why the permanent test registers so differently, and is this a problem, have I added too much Co2?

thanks people!

Nik
Juwel Rio 180, approx. 48 US Gallon
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
2 Bristlenose Cats, 1 male, 1 female
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
4 Corys, 2 Speckled and 2 Albino
2 as yet unidentified catfish
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Re: Dissolved Co2 levels

Post by djw66 »

Nik_Boyd wrote:I've recently purchased a C02 system for my 50g tank, and included with it was a permanent Co2/PH kit. Now, I love German made equipment, as with all German equipment it seems very solidly built. But can they translate a manual (properly, in clear English) or provide much information? not a chance.

In the manual it says to start with 1 bubble in every other chamber of the diffuser (a JBL diffuser column if anyone is familiar with them...) and increase gradually over a number of days. I kept it like that for a few days, but the permanent Co2 test is registering a PH of 6.4, and that Co2 content is too high. I've now turned the Co2 down, to about 1 bubble in every 4 chambers. I've done a seperate liquid (Hagen) PH test, and it still shows up as the normal 7.4 None of my fish are showing distress, but I was hoping that someone could shed some light as to why the permanent test registers so differently, and is this a problem, have I added too much Co2?

thanks people!

Nik
Nik,
What brand of CO2 equipment have you bought? PM me the brand name if you don't want to post here. I use both electronic and regeant testing to cross-reference the findings. I suspect either the Hagen kit or the 'permanent' kit is faulty.

Define 'too high' in CO2. Did you buy a PH monitor for this tank? It turns the CO2 off when the PH hits a set level, thus, it will keep your CO2 level constant, instead of the weirdness you're in now. Is there a solinoid with your regulator? More info, please.

I've been using CO2 on my planted tanks ever since the Amano revolution, so I can probably help you out on this.

Dave
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

Here's a great link on co2 in the tank.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

there is a chart on the bottom that lets you know your ppm of co2 in the tank. All you need to know is your kh and your ph to figure it out.

Cheers, Whitepine
Cheers, Whitepine

River Tank with Rio HF 20 (1290 gph), Eheim 2236.
- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
Durlänger
Location 1: near Biel/Bienne
Location 2: helvetia

Post by Durlänger »

WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Durlänger wrote:Or have a look here
http://www.dennerle.de/CO2NEUframeset.asp
Is there an english version?

Cheers, Whitepine
Cheers, Whitepine

- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

It appears to be under construction, Whitepine. Sometimes it's fun to cruise through to see how much I can pick up, even though I can't speak a word of a language. Puts me in someone else's shoes. I try to imagine how frustrating it must be to come here if English isn't a person's first language. Takes me down a few notches. :wink:
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

I have a hard time with some of the technical words and understanding them in German.

I guess I can always run it though googles translator. :wink:
Cheers, Whitepine

Durlänger

Post by Durlänger »

So gay`s now you know how it is for me :)
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Durlänger wrote:So gay`s now you know how it is for me :)
I guess you meant "guys".

Cheers, Whitepine
Cheers, Whitepine

Durlänger

Post by Durlänger »

Yes, I did :roll:
And I forgot you have to click on http://www.dennerle.de/co2-tabelle.htm

Return to “Tank Talk”