new tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Nik_Boyd
Location 1: Cheshire

new tank

Post by Nik_Boyd »

Got my new (and first tropical) tank set up :D got some lovely bog wood today, and a few more plants.

you can see the little fancy goldfish that are pooing their way to a fully cycled tank. they are only temporary occupants, and will leave when we start getting tropicals.

its all so pretty!
Juwel Rio 180, approx. 48 US Gallon
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
2 Bristlenose Cats, 1 male, 1 female
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
4 Corys, 2 Speckled and 2 Albino
2 as yet unidentified catfish
Durlänger
Location 1: near Biel/Bienne
Location 2: helvetia

Post by Durlänger »

I think your catfish`s will like it if you put little plants for there home so they can better hide :wink:
Also I think you can get water-problems becouse the plant`s you have in do not grow fast enough to take the nitrit and nitrat out :!:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Looks nice. Congratulations.

--
Mats
Nik_Boyd

Post by Nik_Boyd »

Cheers mats :)
Durlänger wrote: I think you can get water-problems becouse the plant`s you have in do not grow fast enough to take the nitrit and nitrat out :!:
we've got an eheim filter rated for a 600lt tank, so even taking into account that most people half that figure, I think is should cope with nitrates/nitrites quite well. thanks for the concern though.

think of it as work in progress. I'm liking the left hand side (bogwood etc) but the middle looks a bit bland and empty at the moment, although I need to make sure i leave enough room for some caves. Any advice/opinions welcome

cheers

Nik
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Nik_Boyd wrote:Cheers mats :)
Durlänger wrote: I think you can get water-problems becouse the plant`s you have in do not grow fast enough to take the nitrit and nitrat out :!:
we've got an eheim filter rated for a 600lt tank, so even taking into account that most people half that figure, I think is should cope with nitrates/nitrites quite well. thanks for the concern though.
Bear in mind that filters do pretty poorly at removing NITRATE, whilst nitrite is what they DO remove. Only plants and water changes actually get rid of nitrate. [Unless you build a filter with anaerobe (oxygen free) sections, which is pretty rare in regular filters. It can be done, but it's not the general principle that most filters use].

--
Mats
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Congrats, Nik! It's absolutely lovely!!! 8)
Nik_Boyd

Post by Nik_Boyd »

thanks bronzefly :)

mats, didn't know that filters aren't good at removing nitrite, and I'll bear that in mind. If anyone can suggest any quick growing nitrate removers would be great. I can get anything from the http://www.tropica.com catalogue from my LFS.
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
jen.nelson
Location 1: Tampa, FL
Interests: fishies, snakes, greyhounds, weightlifting, and cars

Post by jen.nelson »

Nice setup! :D

The best nitrate remover I use is my Python No Spill Clean and Fill. :) Seriously, unless you're going to get into having a fairly planted tank, water changes are your best bet for nitrate removal. I'm a water-change fanatic.

Cheers,
Jen
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Nik_Boyd wrote: mats, didn't know that filters aren't good at removing nitrite, and I'll bear that in mind. If anyone can suggest any quick growing nitrate removers would be great. I can get anything from the http://www.tropica.com catalogue from my LFS.
Pedantic as I am: filters are GOOD at removing NITRITE, but not NITRAATE. Nitrate is removed by getting the water out or by plants. Any plants that grow really quickly will be good candidates.

Of course, doing regular water changes and checking the nitrate level now and again is the best way to go. You'll need something that grows fairly wild to get rid of any significant amount of nitrate, and to do that, you need a decent level of nitrate in the first place, or the plants will not grow very well, so it's a bit of a double-edged sword...

--
Mats
Durlänger

Post by Durlänger »

Take a look here
http://www.dennerle.de/
but wait it`s under construction :roll:
click there on plants
and choice fast growing´s :wink:
Nik_Boyd

Post by Nik_Boyd »

Tank Update - its fully cycled now, the cardinals have been swimming around for a week and we've just got 2 brislenose catfish. they are so ugly they're almost pretty :D love em.

Just thought you might like to see them

Nik
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Congrats, Nik! Of course your Bristlenoses are beauties. I think that's why we post here. :wink: I've never had the pleasure of being in their presence, but I think it may be time to put an addition on the house soon to fit all the tanks.... :embar:
racoll
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

ah, the joy of a blank canvas.

what else are you putting in it?

get more cardinals, about 40 looks great!
Lied
Location 1: Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
Interests: My fish ofcourse, and meeting people, making new friends!^-^

Post by Lied »

Very nice :)
Dit versta je niet he neehee!
ramblin man
Location 1: Southampton, UK

Post by ramblin man »

Very nice tank... so far! Can't wait to see what else happens as and when it does.

You could try a Nita-zorb 'filter.' It is basically a large tea-bag filled with filter media of some sort that reduce ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in various amounts. It is rechargeable so after a week, when it is 'full', simply soak it in warm (medical) salted water and then use it again. This seriously was my best ever purchase! However, it could get the levels down to where the plants aren't happy. (but you'll have excellent water conditions!)

It just about fitted in my Fluval 3+ and cost £15. Well worth the money, and also cleared up the faint yellow water caused by my silica sand!
The Ramblin Man
Ramblin since 1977

L18, L66, L91, L104, L114
Durlänger

Post by Durlänger »

:D Nice guy`s :lol:

:x The idear with the Nita-zorb 'filter.' is not the best, becouse this way you get tomuch NaCl in your tank tropical freswater fish`s don`t like that :!:

:cry: And it`s no filter, it`s a Ionenaustauscher as we call in Germany (anyone knowing the English word for it :?: )

:cry: What is with the plant on the left side of the first catfish photo :?:
jen.nelson
Location 1: Tampa, FL
Interests: fishies, snakes, greyhounds, weightlifting, and cars

Post by jen.nelson »

My Mac translator coupled with my couple years in Germany and context clues tells me that Ionenaustauscher = Ion exchanger...

Jen
Durlänger

Post by Durlänger »

Aha :!:
Nik_Boyd

Post by Nik_Boyd »

no idea about the plant, its about the only one in the tank we don't have an identity for.

Unfortunately the male died (no idea why) but the shop have replaced him free of charge, tested our water etc and couldn't find anything we'd done wrong, which was re-assuring at least. The new male BN is settling in fine.

In addition to this, I'm quite surprised that we've had no problems at all with the crowntail betta. We do have a contingency for if it needs to be moved, but so far its eating fine, has ignored the cardinals and seems to have established a territory at the back of the tank.

I'm not sure what I'm going to add next, or even how many more fish we can have in the tank, as there seems to be much debate on capacity. I'd like to have some corries, and possibly another kind of tetra, or just an increased shoal of cardinals.

also, from the first two photos can anyone identify what type of bogwood I'm using? I meant to ask my LFS but just forgot to. I've got an additional piece which the male BN hides under, but its the same stuff.

Nik.
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
Durlänger

Post by Durlänger »

Plant - maybe a Cryptocoryne better pictures would be fine
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

It's hard to say from the pictures what kind of wood it is. It could well be "Mopani" wood, it usually comes with a little label with something about the Red Cross on it, I think there's some "Create work in the third world" co-operation or something.

What kind of wood you have in the tank doesn't really make a whole lot of difference[1] until you're keeping fish that eat wood. Panaque's for instance.

[1] Assuming of course that it's wood that is suitable to keep in an aquarium in the first place, rather than just walk into the nearest park/forest and pick up a few branches... ;-)

--
Mats
Nik_Boyd

Post by Nik_Boyd »

would have been a lot cheaper to walk into the local forest, maybe not so good for the BNs though :?

Haven't seen any red cross labels, but I too think it is mopani wood, just wanted a second opinion, not that it really makes a difference in the tank, just like to know what I've got :)

cheers mats
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus