Angelicus variant?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Angelicus variant?

Post by Chrysichthys »

I have a syno which is identical to S. angelicus in every respect, except instead of white spots on the body it has a pattern of white squiggles. Any idea what is going on? It was sold as S. ornatipinnis, but I don't believe that's what it is.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

There is considerable variation in the color pattern of <i>S. angelicus</i>, ranging from spots to squiggles.
A photo would help, but I would tend to think that what you have is indeed <i>S. angelicus</i>.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Watch the mouth!
Aside from other differences, they are easily distinguished by the mouth; angelicus has a 'regular' syno mouth with long whiskers; ornatipinnis has a 'suckerlike' mouth (protrudes downwards too) with shorter thinner whiskers, a bit likethe mouth of decorus/pleurops/brichardi.
And it's less dark in color too.
Years ago the 'lined' angelicus was described as a separate variety (Synodontis angelicus zonatus, or so) but this isn't true, since those lines almost always disappear when maturing; leaving the fish with the usual spotted pattern.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Both Silurus and SG are right. S. angelicus zonatus was described by none other than Poll, if I recall correctly, but in keeping with current practice, which disfavors "subspecies", is now just considered a synonym of S. angelicus.

Dinyar
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

If this fish is small ie Juvenile it could be an atterimus (excuse spelling) S Ornatippinis is miles apart in comparison to angelicus.Ornatippinis are banded rather than spotted I think there is a good photo on the cat e log but I will try and send you a pic of mine. On the other hand it stands a very good chance of being a czech hybrid there have been some on the lists unfortunately labbeled as Ornatappinis but not the real mccoy.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Unlikely to be <i>S. aterrimus</i> as they are very rarely imported.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Stingray may be on to something. I too have heard that there are lots of Czech-bred S. ornatipinnis out there. For all we know, Chrysichthys may be referring to some other bastardized fish.

Dinyar
Tom
Location 1: Michigan,USA

angelicus

Post by Tom »

In Sands' Catfishes of The World there is a picture in a Volume 2 supplement. It is from his 1990 supplement and is labeled P1990/11. It shows an angelicus with many squiggly lines all over the body. It apparently was first pictured in Practical Fishkeeping in October,1988. Anyone else have access to this picture?
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

I've checked Axelrod's big fish atlas, and there are pics of angelicus with a combination of squiggles and spots. I think mine is just at the squiggly end of the spectrum. (It also has the feisty temperament of an angelicus).
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
ggdhazel
Location 1: Ft. Wayne, IN
Interests: Aquariums, Gardening, herps

Post by ggdhazel »

I might have an "atterimus"> Can't be 100% though. I recieved it as an angelicus, but it lacks any spots at all. Any other morpholigical feature I should look at to verify what it is for sure (fin ray count)? Im not familiar with its locality either; but if it is an angelicus it has a really cool pattern. Sorry no digital camera to take pictures with.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

<i>Synodontis aterrimus</i> has a much shorter body (similar in form to <i>S. nigriventris</i>) and lacks a distinct banding pattern on all fins when compared to <i>S. angelicus</i>.

Return to “African Catfishes”