Plecos and copper

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sjogren1
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA

Plecos and copper

Post by sjogren1 »

What are acceptible low and high levels of copper for plecos, particularly Ancistrus? Since the lake the house is on has been treated with higher levels of copper sulfate, can't keep any plecos for long; whereas prior to that no problem ever encountered.
** Roger S. **
plecolover
Location 1: Hongkong

Post by plecolover »

As per my experience, nearly all plecos are sensitive to copper. If the copper level in a tank of fresh water is around 0.10mg/L, plecos will immediately perform strange and look stressed; if the copper level is higher than 0.2mg/L, some plecos will get dead in 24 hours especially Ancistrus typed plecos. The copper level in fresh water should be always below 0.02mg/L.
No one gets left behind!!!!
sjogren1

Post by sjogren1 »

Thanks. Seems the problem is with old copper plumbing which can apparently increase copper level without obvious detection.
** Roger S. **
xinguinsis
Location 1: AUSTRALIA

copper

Post by xinguinsis »

Hi Roger could you please elaborate on what you mean whith increase copper levels without obvious detection.A friends having a ancistrus problems which seem remarkably like the time residual copper from snail treatment was killing my ancistrus.
sjogren1

Post by sjogren1 »

Sure, no prob. My father-in-law had kept Water Sprite in his 55 US gal. tank for years. He also kept Ancistrus. Recently, all of his Water Sprite began dying off and attempts to place more in from my tanks proved unsuccessful. All else seemed ok. Without apparent warning, his Ancistrus, of six years, became poorly and died. New introductions of Ancistrus likewise failed. After much thought, water testing (not copper) and discussion, we decided to question the copper levels. It appears that the problem was not, at least exclusively, from the lake treatment. His copper plumbing is over forty years old. When he began to replace the copper with PVC he noticed a large amount of residue from inside of the old plumbing. We queried planted aquarium forums and was pointed in the copper direction. Without the problem with the Water Sprite, we would never have questioned it at lenghth. The copper level had risen none-the-less, unknown to us. The mystery of Ancistrus demise may have remained one, hence "without obvious detection." Good luck with your mates problem.
** Roger S. **
xinguinsis

copper

Post by xinguinsis »

Cheers Roger,
I think I'll get him to try a heavy metal sponge.Ancistrus start air gulping a couple of minutes after being put in this tank which has high dissolved oxygen levels a behaviour I noticed in my fish when copper levels were high.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I think there are tests you can get to see the copper level. From what I understand, this is critical for marine tanks, but I'd be surprised if the test is relying on the salt content in the water to work, so I'd expect it to work in fresh-water too.

I'm sure you get copper from the pipes, but I would expect that's fairly small amounts. However, if your local water supply is fairly acidic, I'd expect the copper "gain" from the pipes to be higher than if the water is neutral or alkalic.

--
Mats
xinguinsis

copper

Post by xinguinsis »

Sweet I'll go the test kit first then .
fishfarmer
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cincinnati, Ohio

Post by fishfarmer »

The acidity comment is a key factor. A few years ago, one of our local water districts started softening their water and also dropped the pH and suddenly there was a rash of pipe failures from pitting from the inside.
catfishgrrl
I've donated: $55.00!
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Statesville, NC USA
Location 2: USA

Post by catfishgrrl »

sjogren1 wrote:My father-in-law had kept Water Sprite in his 55 US gal. tank for years. He also kept Ancistrus. Recently, all of his Water Sprite began dying off and attempts to place more in from my tanks proved unsuccessful. All else seemed ok. Without apparent warning, his Ancistrus, of six years, became poorly and died.
I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks ago :shock:

The water sprite started looking like crap. Then all my Ancistrus juvies died off in two days totally unexpectedly. They looked fine, they ate a variety of veggies. Then they stopped eating and the next day one by one, died.
The water tested fine for everything I had tested it for (did not test for copper).
How would you remove copper from the water and treat the survivors (if you have any)? My cories seem Okay, for now.
Thanks,
Steph
May the Force Be with You...
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

catfishgrrl wrote:
sjogren1 wrote:My father-in-law had kept Water Sprite in his 55 US gal. tank for years. He also kept Ancistrus. Recently, all of his Water Sprite began dying off and attempts to place more in from my tanks proved unsuccessful. All else seemed ok. Without apparent warning, his Ancistrus, of six years, became poorly and died.
I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks ago :shock:

The water sprite started looking like crap. Then all my Ancistrus juvies died off in two days totally unexpectedly. They looked fine, they ate a variety of veggies. Then they stopped eating and the next day one by one, died.
The water tested fine for everything I had tested it for (did not test for copper).
How would you remove copper from the water and treat the survivors (if you have any)? My cories seem Okay, for now.
Thanks,
Steph
I'm not sure there is an easy way to remove copper from water, once it's in there.

One obvious solution is to first of all figure out that it IS copper that is the problem (test-kit will help here). If you do find that you've got high contents of copper in the water, you could try to find a different source of water (supermarket if nothing else, just make sure it's not "mineral water", as it may contain either copper or other minerals that aren't good for the fish.). Some fish shops sell Reverse Osmosis water by the gallon, and that should be copper free (as well as any other mineral/electrolytes, so you need to add "electrolyte salt" to make it OK for your fish.

Long term, you need to either find a way to "fix" the copper problem in your tap-water (e.g. replace pipes with PVC), or get a reverse osmosis unit (which obviously not only removes copper, but hardness and almost anything else that you may find in the water, includingthe electrolyte salts that the fish needs to be able to breathe and live happily).

Naturally, if the copper is in your tap water, and the levels are high as it comes into your house (I'm not sure how you find this out, get a sample from a different source, or perhaps if the water company has public reports on what content there is in the water), it's not easy to do anything about. If the levels are below the "safe limit" issued by the health authority/water standards in your country, you can't exactly complain to the water company for the fact that your fish are getting ill.

--
Mats
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

They make a product for saltwater called "Poly Filter". It's not cheap, but it will remove copper. I definitely wouldn't buy it on the off chance you might have some though. Definitely test for it first. You might contact a saltwater store in your area and see what they'd charge you to run a test on it, if you don't want to play chemist for a day.

Barbie
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Before I went to RO water, I used Cuprisorb. It's nifty because it changes colors when it's exhausted. It's not cheap either.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”