I injured my big Pleco please help !

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
taksan
My images: 3
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia and Uk
Location 2: Sydney and Surrey

I injured my big Pleco please help !

Post by taksan »

Last night while transferring my big (45cm) Pleco his left pec got stuck in the net and he couldn't get free and began to panic thrashing about evenutaly he tore lose and slid into the tank. When i looked at him today I noticed the tip of his left pec was torn and white. And he's been sulking ever since and will not eat. Anyone know what i should do to treat this poor fellow ? I do not have a hospital tank big enough to put him him so I must treat him directly.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

This is a fairly common injury. Make sure the aquarium is kept extra clean for the next two weeks or so to help the fish fight off infection. Keep a close eye on the wound. If it starts to look infected or starts to fungus you will have to treat the fish. To treat, catch the fish and hold it gently but firmly. Place a drop or two of Meth blue on a Q-Tip (cotton swab) and gently swab the infected area. It wil turn the fin blue, but that is ok. Use this treatment every 3-4 days until the wound is healed.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
taksan

Post by taksan »

Thanks thats a big relief
sodapopdima
Location 1: Brooklyn, NY

Post by sodapopdima »

I do not know how well this applies to Pleco's, as my experience doesn't come close to some of the avid members here, and I oftenfind myself asking questions than giving answers, but I know generally when fish suffer damage like this, aquarium salt is always encourageable. But wait to see others comments on it before taking this course of action as it may not prove best for pleco's, although presonally I woulnt not see why.

Hope this kinda helps!!!
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Salt has a few (very FEW) limited medicinal uses with freshwater fishes. It usually does more harm than good. Salt for an open wound is a bad idea. I would be pretty ticked if you tried to rub salt in my open wound.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Candice
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Post by Candice »

What about something like melafix? I use it on my fish when they have a small tear to help them heal.
-C
taksan

Post by taksan »

Yes I used some Melafix and painted him with meth Blue and he's fine now
Eating well and harassing the smaller fish and trying to sit on top of the Clown loaches.
He's back to his old cantankerous Pleco self :lol:
eclipsecatfish
Location 1: porter T.X 77365

Post by eclipsecatfish »

my brother used melafix and pimafix together andit helped alot . The plec skin was pealing and he was lying on the ground. can anyone Identify this disease.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”