Please ID My Syno

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
bunjiweb
Location 1: Cheltenham, ENG

Please ID My Syno

Post by bunjiweb »

Well I think that its a Syno. Euruptus but friends think differently.. Just wanted to get your views on my new purchases.. Cost me £9.95 for the 2!

Ben
>> http://www.coral-frags.co.uk <<
Feel free to visit me at The Pets At Home Cheltenham Aquatic Centre, Gloucestershire, England
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Looks like one to me.

How big are they?
eupterus
Location 1: Essex uk
Interests: Livebearers, corys and L numbers

Post by eupterus »

I would disagree with the Eupterus , they appear to be more yellow and the pattern does not fit that of Eupterus even if they are young. By looking at the branching which appears to be starting on the barbels i would hazards a guess at a couple of young Syno alberti. Then again I may be wrong. A ll I can say for definate is that they dont seem to be eupterus. As you can see from my name these are my favorite Syno and I have 15 of my own in various colour morphs, ( none of which are brown )

Hope this helps
Eupterus.

C. hastatus - habrosus - pygmaeus - aeneus - duplicareus - axelrodi - panda - trilineatus - napoensis - delphax - melini - paleatus - barbatus - concolor - robinae -seussi - reynoldsi - septentrionalis - arcuatus - C57 "nordestini" - guapore - aeneus "black" - C131
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

The pattern of eupterus changes a lot as they grow, and the feather fin appears gradually; I think Silurus is probably right.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
fishmadbarry
Location 1: Essex/England

Post by fishmadbarry »

I cannot tell you what they are, but will tell you what they're not.
These are not Syno. Eupterus.
Syno. Eupterus have a dark background with even darker black Squigles all over their body, not light brown spots on a light tan coloured body.
I have handled thousands of these fish, from hundreds of batches, from at least tens of exporters throughout the world in over a decade working in this trade (import/wholesale and retail). There patterns are very consistent, like a finger print they are totally unique but all distinctivly similar.
Try harder ladies and gentlemen, these are not Syno. Eupterus.

Well done for picking them out from the batch, this is interesting.

Barry.
What does a Chav and a Slinky have in common?

They are both great fun to watch fall down stairs.
bunjiweb

Post by bunjiweb »

They have been in the store since 29/06/04 and yet still the bigger of the 2 isnt more than 2.5", the smaller about 2".

Apparently they were about 1.25-1.5" when they had them in.

They were labelled as "Network Syno - Syno Eupterus"...

Ben
Feel free to visit me at The Pets At Home Cheltenham Aquatic Centre, Gloucestershire, England
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The pattern looks about right for S. eupterus at that size (I'll bet they had a more reticulate pattern when they were first at the store). The spots should continue breaking up as the fish grow.
Jon
I've donated: $5.00!
My images: 22
Spotted: 16
Location 1: San Diego, CA

Post by Jon »

I believe the picture to be of a pair of young, if not sub adult, feathernfins. For future reference, camera flash tends to distort the coloration of objects in close proximity to it. The first picture is probably indicative of what the fish look like IRL. Granted, I've only ever raised a trio of these fish, one of which stayed with me until adulthood. All were purchased at around 5", all appeared to be similarly patterend to the fish pictured, and none had the "squiggles" that have been described, save for the latter inch of tail.
bunjiweb

Post by bunjiweb »

You are correct about the colour distortion.. Here is a couple of pics with much less flash..

Ben
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

definitely not a hybrid, but a fairly beautiful young S eupterus IMO

I cannot see a single mark on it wich points out a hybrid; and I've seen plenty baby and subadult eupterus as well; looks perfectly OK to me
Valar Morghulis
Rense
Location 1: Lelystad, the netherlands
Interests: catfish ofcourse :D And the other fish from lake tanganyika

Post by Rense »

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's an eupterus, we have got 5 of these guys. All bought on a length of about 3/4-1". So we could easily see the colorchanging. This was at 4-4.5". The featherfin was already there when we bought them, a lot smaller then when the're adult, but still, it was definitely bigger then the one bunjiwebs fish has.
eupterus
Location 1: Essex uk
Interests: Livebearers, corys and L numbers

Post by eupterus »

Is it a granulosus??
Just joking but couldnt resist. I still have to stand with my original and agree with fishmadbarry, as my name suggests I am a fan of eupterus and am happy to see anyone keeping them however. I just dont think these are true Eupterus. The feather fin name is the give away. Even at two inches all of mine have exibited the feathered fin. I cant say what they are but for me they are not Eupterus but as i am not a moderator I cant be sure :(
Eupterus.

C. hastatus - habrosus - pygmaeus - aeneus - duplicareus - axelrodi - panda - trilineatus - napoensis - delphax - melini - paleatus - barbatus - concolor - robinae -seussi - reynoldsi - septentrionalis - arcuatus - C57 "nordestini" - guapore - aeneus "black" - C131
catfishcrazy
Location 1: LONDON UK

Post by catfishcrazy »

I originally identified the fish as S.nigrita on another forum, while i am in no way a expert i still stand by that as the closest looking fish to the picture.

Here is a link to the thread with pictures http://www.invisionplus.net/forums/inde ... wtopic=182
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
bunjiweb

Post by bunjiweb »

I agree that it does deffinately look like the picture of the Nigrita in the Baensh aquarium atlas, however It looks completly different on the Planet Catfish profile.... So hard to tell!

I'm still confused as to watch fish this actually is..

Ben
fishmadbarry

Post by fishmadbarry »

I think its a close enough match to be conclusive.

Anyone else agree?

Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

I got 2 sorts of nigrita (one is cf. of course) but before calling this one also nigrita id just call it a riverine Synodontis sp. and maybe wait a bit for it to be more easier to id.
a nice pickup though
cheers
Christian
fishmadbarry

Post by fishmadbarry »

Ok, that seems fair.

I think best to sit on it a while and with a bit of good husbandary, we will all find out when they are adult.

Barry

Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

my nigrita

and the cf.nigrita at 3 cm tl

cheers from Mainz
cheers
Christian
BERTalert7
Location 1: Abilene, TX
Interests: Art, motorcycles, fish, aviation

Post by BERTalert7 »

Look at the caudal fin. They have the distinctive vertical stripes that eupterus tend to cary with them throughout their lives. Thats my estimated guess. Beautiful whatever they are.

Return to “African Catfishes”