Multiple Breeding Pairs- One Tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sirbooks
Location 1: United States

Multiple Breeding Pairs- One Tank

Post by sirbooks »

I *may* be able to buy a seventy-five gallon tank ($220 or so for the hood, tank, and stand), and I wouldn't mind a nice-looking breeding setup. I'm not shooting for a bare-bottomed thing with only PVC pipes and slate as decoration, but something more along the lines of a traditional tank.

Anyways, is it feasible to have multiple species of plecos breeding in the same tank? I know that I could try using dividers, but can it be done without them? They look sort of ugly, and I know that the 'scent' of fish spawning can set off a chain reaction with tankmates! I don't know which plecos I would try out, I've never bred them before and am looking for the easier specimens. Ancistrus triradiatus is a definite possibility, and I'm looking at the king tiger pleco as well.

If this is possible, are there any suggestions on how best to make this work? And, are there some easier (but still fun) plecos to breed? I appreciate all of your time.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I've had both L46 and L333 spawn in a 20 gallon long tank. I'm not sure that the L333 is not now inhibiting the L46, so they're going to be moved in the near future, but they are definitely doing fine together. I would think you won't have any trouble spawning 2 species in a tank that large. Make sure they are species that won't hybridize, that need the same triggers and temperature and you should be all set!

Barbie
GlockFu
Location 1: California

Post by GlockFu »

Barbie wrote:I've had both L46 and L333 spawn in a 20 gallon long tank. I'm not sure that the L333 is not now inhibiting the L46, so they're going to be moved in the near future, but they are definitely doing fine together. I would think you won't have any trouble spawning 2 species in a tank that large. Make sure they are species that won't hybridize, that need the same triggers and temperature and you should be all set!

Barbie
Hi Barbie! This is quite interesting... How many of each did you have in the tank?
nivola
Location 1: perth western australia

Post by nivola »

very interesting thought here.

Bristlenose and royal whiptails will bread in the same tank due to needing different spawning grounds as such.

I think It should be possible aslong as you have a big enough tank for multipule spawn locations.

with cories you can have 6 different breads spawn at once so you should be able to with plecs aswell.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

It was a pair of each. The L333 ended up actually being L31 though, not that it probably made any difference. The male zebra was moved to his own quarters and after a couple months of getting used to the place, is back to his old spawning behavior.

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”