Aguarunichthys torosus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Tom
Location 1: Michigan,USA

Aguarunichthys torosus

Post by Tom »

Appreciate any info on this species- size, hardiness, aggressiveness, compatability, etc. I think Katfishguy has one. One source said a ph of <7. The tank he would go in has a ph of 7.0-7.2. Is that a big problem?
katfishguy
Location 1: Miami, FL

Post by katfishguy »

yeah,, I do have one that is currently around 8". It will max out around 24",, is a little aggressive and territorial,, can be kept with other similar sized fish,, anything smaller will be eaten. As all other Amazonian pimelodids,, it would do well with a Ph between,, 7.2 - 6.5,, so don't worry 7.2 should be OK,,
<b>http://www.rarecatfish.net</b>
Whiskers:)
Location 1: Vancouver,Canada
Interests: Fish-Aquatic, and Herpetology Hobbyist

Post by Whiskers:) »

hey "KATFISHGUY" are you happy with yours?.Would you recomend it too others? do you have any info on this Cat or any pics,links? and how much you purchase $$ this cat for?And whats name was it labeled when ya baught it under ,since lfs change names too sell the goods so often... thnx:) If as nce as the pic i saw of 1 i intend too get a pair. :P
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

a pair would fight to the death; and to disperse that agression you should keep one (in a big tank) or a mediumsized group* (in a private river!)

2 feet.....imagine the tanksize recommended for a shoal of say eight of these 2 footers :shock:

*mediumsized, because the more territorial catfishes behave as badly in a small group (3-5) as in pairs; see for example Synodontis angelicus.
Valar Morghulis
Whiskers:)
Location 1: Vancouver,Canada
Interests: Fish-Aquatic, and Herpetology Hobbyist

Post by Whiskers:) »

Yea ..thnx for intel on this cat ,little :oops: depressed cant have 2 in one tank and would not do so ,wouldnt be right too have 2 that would eventualy kill eachother or close too it .Found another name for this cat "Jello Band Catfish "and apearently will grow too 60 cm at least .Plus it is a loner.... kinda prefered a semi-comunity cat anyways."thnx m8S" great feed -back and reliable resouces:)
wildlife
Location 1: USA
Interests: Fish keeping

Aguarunichthys torosus

Post by wildlife »

Just picked up one of these guys. Can anyone please confirm the adult size for me? I have seen and heard conflicting reports.

Any other information regarding this catfish would be great.
Do anyone know if they retain their spots as they get older? What is the largest size of a Aguarunichthys torosus that anyone has seen.

Thanks,

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”