5 second memory in fish?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

5 second memory in fish?

Post by racoll »

There a very common myth in the UK that fish, goldfish in particular, have a 5 second memory.

i don't believe this too be true, as i'm sure most of you will agree.

memory, even in fish is very complicated, but does this have any truth in reality?

if someone could direct me to the original paper, (if there was one) i would be most grateful.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

This may not be directly relevant:

Broglio, C, F Rodriguez & C Salas, 2003. Spatial cognition and its neural basis in teleost fishes. Fish and Fisheries, 4: 247-255.

Abstract

The present review is focused on recent laboratory studies revealing that the spatial behaviour of fishes is as complex and elaborate as described in land vertebrates. In addition, the data presented here indicate that the remarkable richness and plasticity of spatial behaviour in fishes are based on learning and memory mechanisms and cognitive processes that depend on particular brain circuits, possibly homologous to those identified in mammals and birds. For example, there is evidence that the fish hippocampal pallium is essential for processing and encoding complex spatial information to form map-like representations of the environment. In contrast, body-centred orientation strategies or emotional learning are subserved by different cerebral structures, such as the optic tectum, the cerebellum or the amygdalar pallium. These results that suggest a striking similarity in some cognitive processes and their neural basis between fish and land vertebrates are consistent with the possibility that these vertebrate groups share a common basic pattern of brain and behaviour organisation inherited from a common ancestor and conserved through a long history of separate evolution.
racoll

Post by racoll »

Thanks, that corresponds with the complicated territoral activity we see in fish like cichlids and catfish .

Silurus do you know where this myth came from? is the same true in the US?
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

I saw this episode of "Myth Buster" where they taught gold fish to swim through a maze. They used two different training techniques...and one actually made the fish capable of swimming through the maze faster and faster.
Check out the link below:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythb ... de_04.html

Cheers,Whitepine
Cheers, Whitepine

River Tank with Rio HF 20 (1290 gph), Eheim 2236.
- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

I had always -wondered- about people telling me that goldfish had a three second memory span (I was told 3 seconds, maybe the people who passed on said urban legend thought 5 was too much credit to their oscar chow?). After all, just from a biological standpoint, how long is a species going to survive if it can't remember if it's spawning or running from a predator, and what to do in either situation!
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
ronsterrc
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: My house, Newcastle
Interests: Catfish!

Post by ronsterrc »

its also common knowledge that people who recall such urban myths only have 6 seconds of memory themselves....i couldn't remember who told me this as wtf what am i doing here!!!
CatBrat
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Japan
Location 2: ex. New Zealand
Interests: Fish, Fishing, sports, Taking photos of fish

Post by CatBrat »

I saw a scientific test on the news here (I think it was done in the UK, not too sure though), where they rang a bell/buzzer before they release the food into a box which was in the tank every day. They than stopped for about 2 months (I think), then retested the behaviour, and when they rang the bell/buzzer all the fish rushed into the box before the food was released.
I guess this shows that the fish had learn't the the bell/buzzer and the box ment food, and remembered this for a long period of time.

Cheers, CatBrat.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Just my limited experience with some marine fish has proven to me that fish do have memory skills...and the capacity for learning! How else did I start out with -one- volitan lionfish spitting water at me when it was chow time, and now have all three launching spitballs of saltwater at me? And our epaulette shark and moray eel have been trained to be tongfed for years, to the point that they swim across the tank to where I am working if I'm using the tongs for other purposes (like smacking the damn triggerfish as I struggle to remove a rubber band that somehow ended up in the tank!).
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
racoll

Post by racoll »

that discorery show looks quite good. can't wait till it's on in the UK.

my male Apistogramma agassizi learnt that i fed bloodworms with a pipette after just one feed!!!
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I trained my granny's; really wasted them
:roll:

so now when I open the tank and call (!), they start swimming upsidedown and I can scratch their heads or bellies while I feed them koi-spirulina pellets, wich they really appreciate....

some much for PAVLOV and the 5 second myth.
Valar Morghulis
Kimrin
Location 1: Minnesota, USA

Post by Kimrin »

LOL, I've never met a fish who forgot what a net was for. Unfortunately.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Tetras seem to be into scheduled feedings. Every evening at the same time, they're in a feeding schoal, pecking at the surface, even if there's no food there.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

There a very common myth in the UK that fish, goldfish in particular, have a 5 second memory.
I guess none of these people thought about the fact that Salmon find their home rivers after years?
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Salmon navigation has a lot to do with olfaction and less with memory.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

racoll wrote:that discorery show looks quite good. can't wait till it's on in the UK.

my male Apistogramma agassizi learnt that i fed bloodworms with a pipette after just one feed!!!
That particular show was on about a week or two ago, on one of the sky-channels on saturday or sunday [it kept me from changing the water in my tanks, it was that good]. Not so much about the goldfish learning curve, but their general behaviour in proving things well beyond the point necessary to debunk a myth. I haven't laughed around on the floor that much in years. May be more of an indication of my weird sense of humour than anything else, but nevertheless, I enjoyed it a lot.

--
Mats
racoll

Post by racoll »

I wonder if it'll be repeated?

LOL!

:chuckle:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

racoll wrote:I wonder if it'll be repeated?

LOL!

:chuckle:
Seeing as I liked it, I suspect not ;-) They seem to repeat everything except the stuff you want to see... But I'm sure they'll repeat it at SOME point...

--
Mats
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Salmon navigation has a lot to do with olfaction and less with memory.
Yes HH, but wouldn't that olfactory data have to stored somewhere?
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “Speak Easy”