New tanks

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
lisa23
Location 1: east yorkshire,UK

New tanks

Post by lisa23 »

Hi
I have received 2 new Juwel tanks today (what a lovely valentines gift :D ),a rio 125Litres & rio 180Litres.
I was just wondering if the CompactH filtration in these tanks is adequate enough if i was to stock both with about 6 Hypancistrus Sp & about 6-10 small tetras(or other smallish bread & butter fish).

Also,any suggestions on adding extra flow & aeration ie.powerheads etc.

Any hints & tips from anyone with experience with Juwel tanks will be a great help.

Thanks
lisa
Rocket
Location 1: Larkhall, Scotland
Interests: Woodturning, Unusual Cats and Oddballs

Post by Rocket »

Hi Lisa

Congratulations on the new â??aquaâ??sitions! (Sorry)

I have a Juwel Trigon 190 and although the tank looks great I have found that the filtration is inefficient. Because of this Iâ??ve had to add an Eheim Aquaball filter to the tank. The Aquaball is a filter I canâ??t praise enough. It is the same idea as the Jewel filter in as much as it allows you to put in a variety of media. Also an add on can be bought to allow the actual filter mechanism (sorry not very technical) to be converted to a powerhead. Iâ??m unsure if youâ??ll need the additional filtration but I never see the harm in playing it safe.

Hope this helps

Rocket
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Lisa,

I wish my valentines gift was a fish-tank. Unfortunately I got a new frying pan, a nice one, and a much needed one as the old one was knackered, but still nowhere near as nice as a fish-tank or two... ;-)

In motorsports there's a saying that goes like "You can't have too much horsepower". This can be translated into aquariums with "you can't have too much filter capacity".

I've got a RIO 400 [Birthday & Christmas present to myself] (but sometimes I wish I had two rio 180 instead... Maybe I will get another mid-size tank soon...). For my stocking, the filter seems fine (that's the Jumbo filter), but it's far from being at it's maximum stocking level with 6 Rosy barbs (about 2.5"), 5 Boesmans Rainbows (2-2.5"), 5 (~2") and 2 (2.5-3").

But if you build up the stock slowly, you should be able to check the nitrate levels. When the nitrate starts rising (after you've had the initial maturing cycle), you need to add more filter capacity.

Of course, for hypancistrus, you probably want some water movement to keep the fish happy too, so adding a filter rather than just a power-head might be a "kill two birds with one stone" approach.

--
Mats
Maarten
Location 1: The Netherlands

Post by Maarten »

The compact internalfiltersystem is adequate for the tank for normal conditions wioth its 400L/h pump, but if you have fish with special needs like more current or highfiltration the system is not enough, jou could add a powerhead if the filtration capacity is enough.

But I prefer external Eheim systems, I have an Eheim 2326 (pump 950L/h, 4.9L filtermedium and 650L/h netto) on my Trigon 190 because my fish like some movement and the geophagus mess up the place a lot ;)

Return to “Tank Talk”