Acclimating wild L-134

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jims2cool
Location 1: Iowa
Interests: fish

Acclimating wild L-134

Post by jims2cool »

I need some advice on getting these guys to eat. Any and all adviuce is awesome. I have 12 in a 150 with a huge L-14. They dont seem to be eation but I want to make sure they do.
Thanks
Jim
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I would try bloodworms or blackworms. Most of the meat eating plecos love these things.
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
Tom2600
Location 1: ENGLAND

Post by Tom2600 »

This is strange because my seven L134s have eaten virtually everything I put in the tank from day one. They are in a 55gal community tank so plenty of competition for food. Nothing special with the water, pH 7.2 and water if hard with a high KH reading also. In my experience the L134 is normally a very active plec.
lisa23
Location 1: east yorkshire,UK

Post by lisa23 »

I've had no problem with mine.They are taking bloodworm,algae wafers,catfish pellets and they go crazy on chopped shrimp/prawn.I've also seen them grazing on cucumber.
Just because you haven't seen them eating doesn't mean they aren't.

best of luck
lisa
pleco_farmer
I've donated: $50.00!
Location 1: Wash, DC, USA

Post by pleco_farmer »

search around the forums for "garlic" Barbie worked a thread about encouraging imports to feed. I've used the method as well, with 134's in fact.
jims2cool

Post by jims2cool »

I read them and well? Where do I get Garlic extract from? DO I rinse it after it is soaked for (amount of time)? I have tried Brine Zucc, Omega first flake. Thanks alot for all the help. YOu guys are dreat.
Jim
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

You can either buy prepared garlic extract, or you can drain the juice off the canned minced garlic you can buy in the grocery store. The kent brand (I think) extract is really strong and works great, IME. Frozen bloodworms, mysid shrimp, and even daphnia would also be a good start to getting new L134 eating, IMO. Mine went from very thin to....

In a matter of months, no less. No, you don't rinse it, that would defeat the purpose, no? Hope that helps!

Barbie
jims2cool

Post by jims2cool »

Thanks you guys rule. I will try the garlic today
Jim

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”