New Tank setup to include Plecos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SynoPimpictus
Location 1: Manchester, UK

New Tank setup to include Plecos

Post by SynoPimpictus »

I'm currently looking to setup a new 10gallon tank for Corydoras and Plecs. The tank currently houses some baby mbuna, but these guys are going to the local fish shop on sunday, so the tank will be empty. I plan to clean out the tank and use ph buffer to bring the ph back down to 7.0. The fish I would like to include in this setup are listed below -

1 Bulldog Plec
2 Pitbull Plecs
2 Corydoras Trinilineatus
2 Corydoras Similis
1 Zebra Danio
(And possibly another species of Corydoras)

The tank has a 50w heater, Fluval 1 Plus filter, and Elite Mini filter (which provides aeration).

My main question is regarding temperature, as I know Bulldog plecs like lower temps. So would a temperature of 75F be okay?
Last edited by SynoPimpictus on 04 Feb 2005, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
LimaShovel
Location 1: New Caney Texas
Interests: FISH

Post by LimaShovel »

is the bulldog pleco a rubberlip pleco
SynoPimpictus
Location 1: Manchester, UK

Post by SynoPimpictus »

I think the name Rubber lip is just another name for Bulldog Plecos, check the Bulldog Pleco article in the Catfish of the month section, common or trade names are often listed.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I think the temperature should be around 20-22'C (about 70-72'F) for everyone to be at their happiest. 75'F is about 24'C, and would probably be OK, but why have the temp higher than you require from the species you have in the tank.

And unless your zebra danio is placed in the tank as a last retirement home, why not get it a few friends to play with. They are shoaling fish, and like to have friends around... I doubt that it will shoal with the Cories...

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”