L-010 Xingu Lizard Cat breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fishfarmer
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cincinnati, Ohio

L-010 Xingu Lizard Cat breeding

Post by fishfarmer »

Bought some adult L-010 in the fall and a couple of weeks ago I noticed that they had paired off and both males have been carrying fry. Last night, after 14 days, the first male released his fry, which I'm trying to recover from the main tank.
male with 3 day old eggs

male with 11 day old eggs
julian
Location 1: Thatcham west berks uk
Interests: football, rugby, tennis, fish!-tropical and koi

Post by julian »

brill !
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Your fish is likely Loricaria simillima or a related species.

Most are fairly easy to get to breed. Just need a more carnivourous diet and clean well oxygenated water. The fry are also fairly easy to raise as they will feed readily. Once the yolk sack is used up I used a bit of APR or Micro Invertebrate Food to get them in "search" mode and fed them predominantly brine shrimp nauplii and crushed flakes/disks/pellets.

Congrats on the spawn...

BTW: Did you get to witness the spawning sequence? The female doesn't lay all of the eggs at once but in small batches of 5-20 or so. The pair actually pass the egg mass back and forth several times over the course of a couple hours.

Again, good work...
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
fishfarmer
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cincinnati, Ohio

Post by fishfarmer »

Paul,

I saw the pairs side by side and moving the gravel out of the way in the evening and then by morning the male had possesion of the full sized mat of eggs. The fry were released last night and I have been moving some of them to a small raising tank that I use for other loricaridae fry. They already appeared to have no yolk sack this morning so I started APR.

I ordered these fish as a Pseudhemiodon sp Royal Loricaria from an importer but thought they looked most like Loricaria lata the L-010 although I see from your reference that the Aqualog shows L. simillima as the L-010 and I did use that to judge these as L-010. Is there a good way to tell them apart?

I'll be getting photos and writing a breeding report for my web site over the weekend.

Thanks

Steve

http://home.fuse.net/fishfarmer/

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”