L260 breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Perky
Location 1: Wales

L260 breeding

Post by Perky »

on shane`s world it says that they would breed within 2 weeks of adding a 1200 l/hour powerhead. Do you think i should get a Rio 1100 Powerhead or Rio 800???

Rio 1100
l/hour 1451

Rio 800
l/hour 800

Rio Pump Features

Energy Efficient Design
Fully Submersible
Quiet Operation
Low Heat Emittance
Ceramic Shaft
High Flow Rate
Multi-Purpose
Durable High-Impact Plastic
Magnetic Rotor Technology
2 Year Manufacturers Warranty

Also I have 2 Plant Pots for caves so far, should I buy som more pots???
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Regarding the caves, flower pots are usually not acceptable spawning sites for a large number of Ancistrine plecos. Too big and open inside for the fish to adequately defend the site.
The cave should be just taller than the male fish (without the dorsal fin erect) as wide as the male fish with one pectoral fin extended and 1.3-1.5 times the length of the fish.

As for the pump, get the bigger one, you can always divert some of the current if it's too much (not likely!).
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Perky

Post by Perky »

So I will add a tile cave, the same as barbie had when she bred some and put that next to the Rio 1100, good???
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Add a generous portion of patience, good rich food, hundreds of gallons of water changes, and yep, I'd say you'll be good to go!

Barbie
Perky

Post by Perky »

So weekly water changes of how many gallons? This is a 15 gallon tank by the way and I will be getting 3. About a 40% water change each week? for the water added to the tank, does it have to be treated with Aqua + to dechlorinate etc or no? On the shane`s world article it says that for water changes they used plain tap water or something like that. So for the water added to the tank for the water change, does it have to be treated with Aqua + to dechlorinate etc or no?
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Perky you need to read the Ancistrinae internet lecture, and also the chat lecture by Larry Vires that explains rainy seasons. I'm cool with answering questions, but there's a ton of info there that I doubt I'd cover effectively in a post. That's why there are articles after all ;)

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”