Power cut--advice?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Power cut--advice?

Post by Chrysichthys »

My street is to have a 7 hour planned power cut on Wednesday for maintenance, and I would be interested to hear from anybody else whose fish have been through a power cut scenario. At least I know about it beforehand and can prepare in advance.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Monty
Location 1: Cornwall. England, U.K.
Interests: Jazz & Fish

Post by Monty »

Hi,

Assuming that the tank is not too overstocked, or unless the tank is in a very cold location for a power cut of this length of time the only thing you may need to do is arrange some air supplies from battery air pumps ( which are always handy to have)into airstones to assist the oxygen exchange and the co2 being driven off .

Temperature drop will be minimal and the heater/stat will soon take care of that when the power comes back on.

I am sure you know this but dont adjust the thermostat to"help" as this would cause an increase in temperature when the power comes back on.

Also refrain from feeding the fish the day before and the day after ,this will ensure the filter is in prime condition.

Finally, most times the proposed power interruption is shorter than they warn you of. shouldn't be any problem to you.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I've been contemplating buying a generator for just such an emergency. A loss of power for more than an hour could have catastrophic results during the winter here. My fish used to be fine during the 3 and 4 hour spells with no power in Kansas City, but I was careful not to overstock the tanks. Now I've become more complacent.

If you're worried about tank temp, wrapping them with blankets, taping on heat packs, and adding water heated on a gas stove then floated in bottles can help.

Good luck. I'm really glad it's not something I'm having to prepare for!

Barbie
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

Be sure to keep your biofilters in fresh oxygenated water to keep the bacteria from dying out, and leaving you with an ammonia spike when the power comes back on.
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I have had power failures lasting up to 24 hours and have not lost any fish. Since you know of the power cut in advance do some water changes and everything should be fine.

Mark
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

You didn't say how many tanks that you have but if you only have one you could get a 500-800va UPS which would keep your equipment up and running for a while, plus you would have a backup for those unscheduled power outages.
Rocket
Location 1: Larkhall, Scotland
Interests: Woodturning, Unusual Cats and Oddballs

Post by Rocket »

Do you have a gas cooker? Is so it's an idea to boil water and put them in glass bottles and then float them in the tank. I have found that this plus wrapping the tank in polystyrene helps keep the temp falling to much.

Rocket

Return to “Speak Easy”