Driftwood and other wood for plecos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fishthoughts
Location 1: Cleveland, OH
Interests: Breeding Cichlids and Plecos, Drag Racing

Driftwood and other wood for plecos

Post by fishthoughts »

Is driftwood the same as bogwood? are either the same as "Swampwood"? Would Panaque sp. like bogwood or must it be driftwood?
Your cure for the common Cichlid!
http://www.fishthoughts.net
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

as far as i know bogwood is wood that has been submerged in a peat bog, this has the effect of preserving and keeping it from rotting. driftwood is wood that has been sun bleached and weathered on the beach. Both types last longer and pollute the water less than regular "dead" wood. i have never heard of swamp wood before. Many people however use the term interchangably among the different types of wood used in the aquarium. from my experience with panaque i can say that they will eat just about any wood that's not to hard for them to chew. the only wood i have in their tank they aren't eating (at least noticably) is that light/dark african wood thats super hard and heavy.
Power To The Pl*cos
fishthoughts
Location 1: Cleveland, OH
Interests: Breeding Cichlids and Plecos, Drag Racing

Post by fishthoughts »

Excellent... my L204 are getting moved to their new home tonight then :) Thanks!
Your cure for the common Cichlid!
http://www.fishthoughts.net
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Swamp = Bog? I thought that Swamp-land was the same as Bog-land when translating from American to British english, but I could have that wrong.

Technically, a Bog isn't the same as a Swamp, but I believe that the tannin-rich water is the same sort of environment, so the preservation of the wood would end up being the same.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”