Fluorescent lighting

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
lindayu
Location 1: Leeds,England
Interests: fish,ponds,gardening,tortoises

Fluorescent lighting

Post by lindayu »

Can anyone suggest a fairly low-level fluorescent light.
My new tank has bogwood, hiding places etc. but I'd like to grow plants like Anubias. The fish are bristlenoses and 2 LDA33s.Thanks.
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

what are the dimensions of your tank? how many liters?
lindayu
Location 1: Leeds,England
Interests: fish,ponds,gardening,tortoises

Post by lindayu »

The tank is 30"x15"x12". It has actually been set up for a while in my dining room, but without lighting.
I've now bought one of the older style Marina hoods which has integral light fittings, so the tube length has to be 24". I'm looking for a make of tube that's more subdued than most, so that I can grow a few shade-tolerant plants, see the fish when they're out but not frighten them with a very bright light.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

30X15X12 is about 23 US gallons. My suggestion would be to visit your local home improvement store and pick up a 24" 20 watt "plant" or "grow" light. These same tubes are sold in pet stores as "plant" tubes for about 3-5 times the price. That will give you less than one watt per gallon, which is pretty low light. At that light level, I would not try any plants except Java moss, Java fern, and maybe Anubias. The plant tubes also look less bright than the regular soft white tubes because they are warmer in their color spectrum.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I personally purchase the GE Ultra Daylight bulbs, along with maybe a "sunshine" bulb for my planted tanks. Sunshines are 5000k and a bit yellow looking, while the Ultra Daylights are 6500k with a bit more blue. When you combine them, it just looks nice and white and the plants grow well, IME. The lights that they recommend for "plants and aquarium lighting" are 4100k and tend to look a bit pink.

I have 192 watts of light on my corner bow tank, and my otocinclus and B. sidthimunki are out in the front of the tank at all times. Fish adjust to the amount of lighting, with no problem, (within reason) IME.

Barbie
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

Don't forget about the cri rating of the bulb. The hight the number the brighter it will appear. If you get a bulb with a cri rating under 80 it will seem some what dim... but the plants can still use the light to grow and you can cram a few more lights under the hood and still not have a very bright setup for your fish.
red-devil0602
Location 1: cheshire

heres all the details you need

Post by red-devil0602 »

here's all the details you need for cheap fluorescent lighting (moon light).
i did this on my catfish tank so that i might get to see them. this not a link to a shop so no worries, it's just a link to a fish forum with all the details and picture of how to do it. hope this helps :D

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=0 ... opic=46380

Return to “Tank Talk”