Native Cats

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Evan
Location 1: Vancouver,B.C.

Native Cats

Post by Evan »

I'm planning to get a texas cichlid and I'm looking for a native cat to put in there. I'm thinking like a channel cat or maybe a bullhead. I live in Vancouver, B.C. so they're not easy to come by, where can I get one of these and where can I find info on them.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

where can I find info on them
Did you check the Cat-eLog?
Evan

Post by Evan »

Ya I did. Its a 77 gal. tank. I liked the CotM this month. Is that a possiblity in my tank :wink: . I grew up in the South and I really like these cats so if its possible I want one. Whats food requirements life span, the basics. I also did a google seach and nothing but people holding up dying cats :P :cry:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I liked the CotM this month.
You meant the CotM from November 2003. This month's article isn't on a North American catfish.

Bullheads are fairly easy fish to keep. All of the info you want is in the article anyway.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Ok oops I meant the Nov. of 2004 the gulper cat.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Back to the original question.

From all that I can gather, Channel cats grow LARGE, as in 3feet or so. That will only work if you have a tank that is at least 6 feet on it's smallest dimension, so something like 18 x 6 x 6, making it 18000 liters, or 4750 us gallons (approximately). That's a HUGE tank, and I wouldn't recommend having one of those in even a bigger home... But then I live in England where space is at a premium ;-)

Ok, so it will take a few years to grow to that size (well the data I've found indicates that they grow roughly an inch per month or so), but it's unwise to buy fish that will require converting your swimming pool into a fish-tank.

The bullheads that I've looked at seem more reasonable at a length of about 18", so requiring about 3ft side on the shortest length of the tank... Still a HUGE tank, but not as unreasonable as that of the Channel Cat.

--
Mats
wizkidd26
Location 1: Hampshire, IL

Post by wizkidd26 »

I wouldn't suggest having a bullhead or channel catfish because you might be buying your bullhead/channel catfish dinner. They WILL eat whatever they can fit in their mouths, for example, Ive caught several using peices of Ivory soap. You could buy the channel cats small, but like Matsp said, they do grow HUGE, and texas cichlids only grow in the proxmity of one foot (12 inches). Bullheads are small(er), but they've frog mouths, they will eat anything, ANYTHING, that will fit in their mouth. Besides, both fish like to eat bluegills/sunfish, which Texas cichlids do resemble.
Evan

Post by Evan »

oh ok. Never mind then. What catfish would you suggest then? Something with a little personality.
wizkidd26
Location 1: Hampshire, IL

Post by wizkidd26 »

you could always try madtoms, granted they don't like lights at first...you could try http://www.jonahsaquarium.com to check them out.
Evan

Post by Evan »

I'm trying to get into the bigger fish and I did consider madtoms at one point. I'm really into pims at this point so well have to see where it goes from there.
troi
I've donated: $65.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Northwest New Mexico, USA

Re: Native Cats

Post by troi »

Evan wrote: I'm thinking like a channel cat or maybe a bullhead. I live in Vancouver, B.C.
I know the size thing has been addressed, but have you considered a pond? My tiny channel cat certainly outgrew the koi fairly quickly--he was pushing twenty inches when he and the koi went to someone else's pond--but he was a great fish to keep. My GUESS is that in a pond there would be enough room for the c*****d and a channel, assuming compatible size from the onset.

My White Catfish is around 10 inches and hasn't grown in a year (maybe by partner's fish keeping behind that, tho).

troi

Return to “Other Catfishes”