How PetSmart are they really?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
SJExotics
Location 1: San Jose, California

How PetSmart are they really?

Post by SJExotics »

Went to the nearest Petsmart (Milipitas) lastnight looking for a couple Otocinclus to put into my 20g L-46 tank. As I approach the fish aisle, an over eager employee greets me and asks if I need any help. I didn't feel like looking at each tank for these fish so I answered "Yah, do you guys have any Otocinclus?".

He then repeatedly muttered to himself "Oto Cichlid, Oto Cichlid, Oto Cichlid, hmmmm... Ahhh Tooeee Sik Lid" as he guided me to the cichlid area and read every cichlid label!

big LOL.

In the end, we couldn't find any Oto Cichlids. I returned a few minutes later to look for Otocinclus myself, to no avail. Maybe I shoulda asked for a couple Midget Suckermouth Catfishes, errrr... maybe not. :?
SJE
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

Methinks it might be more to the point if you called the manager and advised them of their ignorant staff, they might then be able to realize the opporunity to train their people better so they could be more helpful. Everyone knows someone who knows less than them about something

Pointing out peoples' shortcomings may be amusing, but how does it help your soul to laugh at him, especially considering he is eager to help? My two cents . . . btw if SJExotics is a business count on me to avoid it, you're doing some poor advertising :?
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
SJExotics
Location 1: San Jose, California

Post by SJExotics »

:cry:

Although i said big LOL, i meant I was laughing in inside. Oops.

I guess my culture is different from yours. I went to Petsmart for leisure, not to educate staff or report staff shortcomings to their managers. I was also in a bit of a hurry also to make it back home in time for the 2nd half of Monday Night Football! Which I did :lol: for a pretty good 2nd half.

So I found it funny. If you didn't, then fine. But please don't chastise me nor come at me with that last line.

To add to my story, I did find a couple of Otocinclus today at a local fish store. Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell, CA. Great place w/ very knowledgable staff. Again in a rush as I went there on my lunch break, asked an employee there for an Otocinclus was quickly out the door with two in hand for $3 woohoo :wink:
Last edited by SJExotics on 29 Sep 2004, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
SJE
Fish Demon
Location 1: SF Bay Area
Interests: I keep lots of fish, but I am really interested in catfish (especially corys).

Post by Fish Demon »

I got a kick out of it, maybe because I've had those kinds of things happen to me many times before.

I went to a *generic large pet store* one time, and asked if they carried white clouds (as I didn't see any there). The guy working there went and pointed me towards the dwarf gouramis. :lol:

To help I tried to explain what white clouds were and what they looked like, but he was just giving me the impresssion that my expanation was beyond his mental capacity.
-Natalie

April 20, 2001

Q: How tall is Cartman in real life?

A: Well, Cartman doesn't exist in real life, but if he did he'd be two feet tall.

Return to “Speak Easy”