Need a tough scavenger...

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Stab
Location 1: NYC

Need a tough scavenger...

Post by Stab »

To go into a 75G tank with Malapterurus Electricus, Tilapia Butticoferi and Polupterus Lapradei. The only fish that comes to mind is a common pl*co or a gibbiceps, since they get big and armoured, but I really want to keep this tank as a riverine african habitat. What would you recomend?

BTW there are tons of hiding places and neither one of the fishes is overly aggressive
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

A Giraffe-nosed cat, Auchenoglanis occidentalis would work out fine for a while eventually you would need a bigger tank. You could also try some riverene Synodontis.

Mark
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

How big is your M. electricus? NO fish will survive for long as a tankmate in a 75 gal of an electric cat > 20 cm or so.

Dinyar
Stab

Post by Stab »

He's 6" and I haven't seen him bother any fish yet, not even much smaller jewels! I'm sure its just a matter of time ofcourse...
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

and if the Malapterurus won't finish him, the buttikoferi will....that is pound for pound one of THE nastiest fish available for homekeeping!

if you want to hang on to these species, I'd suggest you get an upgrade, like a 150G tank or so.
Valar Morghulis
Stab

Post by Stab »

Actually butti is moving to his own tank in the next couple of weeks. What do you think of keeping Malapterurus with various bichirs (polypterus) species? What abould elephant noses? Or, are there any other fish specifically known for being somewhat electricity resistant?
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Stab wrote:Or, are there any other fish specifically known for being somewhat electricity resistant?
Plastic ones are the only kind that come to mind. Even with another e-cat, one of them is likely to eventually kill the other. I would think you'd need at least a 1,000 gal tank to keep two e-cats together.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I've seen a 10" electric cat kill a 1,5 foot long Clarias batrachus once........

cats don't come much tougher than C batrachus!

that particular electric zapped me a few times when it was still a wee 5-6" and we just bought it for a few bucks (they wanted to get rid of it). not a nice experience, especially when carrying the fish in a wet fish-bag under my shirt because it was cold outside.......

and the bigger they get the bigger the zap!
Valar Morghulis
Converting
Location 1: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post by Converting »

that particular electric zapped me a few times when it was still a wee 5-6" and we just bought it for a few bucks (they wanted to get rid of it). not a nice experience, especially when carrying the fish in a wet fish-bag under my shirt because it was cold outside.......
What??? Really I did not realize that the electricity could transfer. If you are doing water changes can it zap you through the water?
Stab

Post by Stab »

I've had my 6 incher for close to 2 months now and it is yet to zap ANYTHING! Never zapped me, didn't fight back when super-aggressive tilapia butticoferi attacked it, and its been peacefully coexisting with 3 bite-sized jewel fishes for over a week now :shock:

Return to “African Catfishes”