Cory Behaviour in tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Anthony
Location 1: Singapore
Interests: Fishkeeping

Cory Behaviour in tank

Post by Anthony »

I have about 32 mid size cories in a 30G tank for about 5 months.
(Melanistius, Venezuelanus, Sterbai, Schwatzi, Zygatus, Pandas and Concolors, Sodalis, B.Splendens, C.Loreto, C.Surinamensis )

The tanks is filtered with Eheim 2215 with matured EHFISUBSTRAT in one compartment.
The temp hovers around 28-29 C. The tank has a year old 36W PL lighting.

The substrate is 1.5 cm of fine sand and some 2-3 mm gravel (different sides of the tank). I have 4 java fern /nanas on driftwoods that provides suff cover below mid level.
I've just added H.Difformis to add more shade and take up the ammo/nitrates. I change the water 30% every week. No test kits! Was hoping I can do without ...

I feed them once a day with some Hikari wafers and a cube of Hikari bloodworms - ensuring no overfeeding. They do eat well.

The Venezualanus (not wild) are the most adventurous lot going round the leaves up to mid level / upper part of the tank and sometimes 'surfing' against the filter outlet. The zygatus is the next most active. The rest laze around at the bottom and comes active only during feeding time. But zipping criss cross the tank no longer happens like when they were first added to the tank :( .

They are all very panicky when there is motion outside the tank, it does not help my working area is near the tank.

Question:

1. Are cories supposed to be an active lot swimming all over the tank or they are supposed to stay at the bottom? I've noticed the former behaviour only when the cories are first put in the tank.

2. Would an airstone help bump up the activity due non-feeding times?
Last edited by Anthony on 17 Mar 2003, 14:46, edited 4 times in total.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

They should be fairly active. If they are just staying still all the time, there's probably something wrong.
AOS
Location 1: The Netherlands
Interests: Corydoras

Post by AOS »

Mine are searching for food about the whole day, except for spawning now and then :D . Sometimes they rest a littlebit, but readily start to search the same spots over and over again.

I don't think I'm underfeeding them, as they are growing very well.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi Anthony!

Well ~30 corydoras in such tank is rather a lot.
What is the water T°?
With such number in that tank, you must have a good filtration, which in your case is rather good, but how much water do you change and how often.
Secondly have you check the water parameters values, such as nitrates, nitrites, ammoniac...
What about the lightening as it seem that your tank does not offer your cory many place to hide!!!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

looking at your list of Cory species you have some that prefer cooler water some that like it warn and a couple in the middle. So two questions what is the temperature of the tank and which species are the most active.

Ian
AOS
Location 1: The Netherlands
Interests: Corydoras

Re: Cory Behaviour in tank

Post by AOS »

Anthony wrote:The temp hovers around 28-29 C. The tank has a year old 36W PL lighting.

Question:

Are cories supposed to be an active lot swimming all over the tank or they are supposed to stay at the bottom. I've noticed the former behaviour only when the cories are first put in the tank.
Since you added a little more info and since I have bought a new species yesterday, I can give maybe some input here.

About the temperature: I think that's pretty high! I don't know all the temperature ranges for all Corydorases, but this seems to me far to high. Even with the more tropical species, 26 degrees celsius will probably do. I keep panda's at 22-23 degrees (together with paleatus, for which this temperature is probably the highest they should have)

About the activity in the beginning: I observed that indeed my new cories (panda's) are really swimming up and down the tank walls, but I don't think that is normal. It might just be some stress from a new environment. This behaviour also remindes me of the introduction of the paleatus in the beginning. They were probably constantly looking what's going on above the water, and if it would be safe to 'take a breath'. My pandas, however, are really doing this at one spot, but it's getting less and less. I think that's normal.

Your Cories should, I think, be fairly often searching for food at the bottom, if not most of the time, and now and then check the plants as well (but that might depend on the species as well).
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

Post by SirHelm »

I currently have 6 3 lined cories, and just got 7 gold green cats (meleonotia sp???). The 3 line cories have always been active on the bottom but do rest when they can. They almost never go to the top to "gulp" air. However the gold green cats do all of the time. They are far more active (and skittish) than the 3 lined cats.

BTW (Tank is 100 gallon, with a built in wet/dry bio filter and a fluval internal filter with a spray bar......) temp is 76 F, 0 ammoinia, 0 nitrates, .25ppm nitrites. 30 % water change once every week.

From watching the cories activities I would deduce that there are distinct behaviours between the different types of cories.

Just my 2 cents!

SH
Cory_lover
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Melbourne
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Corydoras fanatic

Post by Cory_lover »

oh...pandas do not like temperature like 28/29....keep them in cooler waters about 23-24 degrees. NOt sure about the other species though.
I speak 12 languages fluently. English is my bestest. - Bush
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

That's interesting! I've been keeping my C. Panda's in 28 for just over a year now and they are fine. Or maybe they lifespan wont live longer in warmer water? I've herd this a while ago.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”