Split Dorsal

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
colin
Location 1: Malta

Split Dorsal

Post by colin »

My Sailfin Pleco ( Gibbiceps) is about 2 years old and has shared his tank with some Hoplos for 8 months now. They get on well together - the gibby chases them away from his food area.

This morning I noticed his sailfin is split top to bottom !

Has this happened to any one else and will he survive ?

Colin
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

He should be fine and the split fin will heal with no problems. Just watch for any signs of infection.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Colin, probably happened while the 2 were "fighting eachother over terriorial matters...

No much too worry, as said Chrysichthys, just watch in case of infection, but it should be fine...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
colin

Post by colin »

Thanks Guys

he doesnt seem too affected by it , he is not off his food . Just watch & wait.

Colin
colin

Post by colin »

Just an update. I went to England for a month with my son in charge. When I got back - 1 week ago - the gibbies fin is perfectly healed.

Here is my question . Do their fins grow out like our fingernails ? That is the only way I could think of that the fin could heal. And so fast ?
4zap
Location 1: Berlin/Germany

Post by 4zap »

colin wrote:Just an update. I went to England for a month with my son in charge. When I got back - 1 week ago - the gibbies fin is perfectly healed.

Here is my question . Do their fins grow out like our fingernails ? That is the only way I could think of that the fin could heal. And so fast ?
Hi

most times the fin will heal. When the finrays are ok, there is a good chance for healing. It's not like our fingernails.... :D it grows when the fin need it. My experience is a good healing rate for fins by catfishes, when they are damaged. When the fin rays are damaged, it can not heal the whole fin.
look at this O. hoppei. His dorsal was damaged. Only where the rays are ok, the skin between will grow again.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”