Help stop this cruelty.

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Help stop this cruelty.

Post by clothahump »

Could someone sticky this please.

Please sign this and tell all the other fishkeepers you know worldwide.
The more websites it is on the more signatures we will collect, if we get enough we might just make a difference.
This is just one manufacturer of these tiny prisons http://www.aquababies.com/

http://www.petitiononline.com/aqua/petition.html
rosey
Location 1: stevenage UK

Post by rosey »

id just like to encourage people to sign this petition as tanks that size are illegal in germany so why should everywere else be any different
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

I just signed the petition. I feel so bad for the fish in the picture of the "happy three year old family." The one had his tail completely shredded. To me, that is not a happy fish. Poor little guys. :(
Line up!
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Wow this petition has LEGS. :shock:

This was forward around the internet several years ago! Likely a few short moments after these little torture cells came onto the market. My SIG. is likely on that petition several years prior!

I refuse to give the site a hit, but do they still advertise that their fish are: "specifically bred to remain small"?

Goes to show actually how dim the general public is regarding fish health.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

Do you know where I might find the original petition?
They still state they are specially bred, idiots. :x
Elspeth
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kansas City, Missouri

Post by Elspeth »

"Specially bred" (or was it just specially selected?) not only to remain small, but to have a short lifespan. They say they use fish with a one to two year lifespan, then list a bunch of tropicals that the rest of the internet says live about five years. Cute. :evil:
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Unfortunately that's probably two or three hard-drives ago.

I clearly remember this getting passed around at least six or seven year's ago.
They still state they are specially bred, idiots.
Typical...
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

i was going around on a bunch of fish forums several years ago (~2001) when i first got fish to. the Target where i live use to carry them, i haven't seen any for sale for quite some time.
Power To The Pl*cos
Aquamick
Location 1: West Yorks,UK
Interests: Fishkeeping & Music

Post by Aquamick »

THIS TRADE IS CRUEL. If you read the letters from aquababies owners page at: http://www.aquababies.com, you realise just how misguided these people are. They could enjoy fishkeeping in a much better, more humane manner, instead of making these poor creatures lives miserable.It makes me sad and angry at the same time. :cry: :ang: I'll certainly be signing the petition.
Dcptherock
Location 1: Langley,B.C. Canada
Interests: Ictalurus Punctatus,Pangasius Hypophthalmus,Pimelodus Pictus,Megalechis Personata,Silurus Glanis, Ictalurus Furcatus,Pyloductus Olivarus.

Post by Dcptherock »

These guys really spawned a company of pure evil. They started a chain of sick fish in tanks that are 30 times smaller than my smallest one."healthy fish" HA! that's stupid.I signed the Petition as soon as I saw aquababies home. :evil: :cry: :x :irritated: :evil: :ang: :rant:
ÐÆVÀÑ
Angel2211
Location 1: Australia

Yep i'm in

Post by Angel2211 »

I am sorry but i had to give the site a hit, and to a degree i'm glad i did or i wouldn't have believed it. I went straight to the petition and signed. The petition is doing really well with nearly 600 signatures. Well done to the petition author for the petition and for the way that it is being bought to everyone's attention.
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Post by MackIntheBox »

Ive crawled over the entire site and do have to say that it is slightly disturbing. I can see the need for a small tank but a 4X4 cube?! I took the info I found from the website and used an aquarium calculator to get some info...

Results:

Results computed by FishTank Online August 17, 2004, 12:15 pm EDT
http://boonedocks.net/fishtank

Water Type..............................Freshwater
Material................................Acrylic
Tank Overhead Shape.....................Rectangular
Length..................................4.00 in.
Width...................................4.00 in.
Height..................................5.00 in.
Wall-thickness..........................0.12 in.
Volume..................................0.35 gal (US)
Tank Material Weight....................0.64 lbf
Water Volume............................0.30 gal (US)
Water Weight............................2.52 lbf
Substrate Type..........................Small Diameter Rocks
Average Substrate Depth.................1.00 in.
Substrate Weight........................0.85 lbf
Approximate Total Weight................4.00 lbf
Room Air Temperature....................77.00 °F
Water Temperature.......................32.00 °F
Cooling Capability Required.............13.05 W
Approx. Total Fish Length...............0.53 in.
Mass Required for 1 PPM.................1.14 in.

the total fish length needs to be .53 inches. they also state that you will receive fish that can grow to be 1 to 4 inches long. On the business page of the site the owner/inventor claims that the aquariums are 4 inch cubes. Looking at the pictures its obvious they arent cubes and are taller than they are wide or deep, thats why i gave her an extra inch (being really nice here). This tank does seem too small, i can see it for some extremely small fish but I dont know of any that are that small, guppies maybe but they really dont have alot of room. these 1 gallon aquariums always seemed small to me, theyre palaces compared to this tiny aquarium.

Did anyone else see the National Classroom Study? Did anyone else find it disturbing that the nitrate ranged wildly from 0 to in some cases 20?! 2 of the scools didnt even test for nitrate.

I could see 1 guppy or maybe a Betta loving in this tank but not 2 to 4 fish, a snail and a frog! that just seems like way to much stuff in a 4 inch cube of plexi.

I would consider getting one, with one small guppy to have on my desk but the way these are being sold with 2 to 5 fish just seems wrong, the tank is too small for that. I will sign the petition.

I just noticed also that, quoting from the site and its aquarium care section
Avoid goldfish because most are generally too large to keep your tank in balance.
Now, you go look at their store and find
Fantail Goldfish (1 per order)
for 5 bux each. Didnt they say that Goldfish are too big?? the lack of concern for the fish health is scary.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

if the water temperature is 32 degrees, I think there would be other issues than size...
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Post by MackIntheBox »

S. Allen wrote:if the water temperature is 32 degrees, I think there would be other issues than size...
that is actually an area where you can input a temp, it defaulted to 32 when i didnt enter anything, I just wanted the size of the tank and the amount of water in the tank. I would also think that these critters would lead an oxygen deprived life... plants consume oxyfen at night correct?
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

have gladly signed
Fantablious Mr. Catfish
Location 1: England; home of everything good.

Post by Fantablious Mr. Catfish »

Poor fish! My last girlfriend was a zebra danio >( ;;)

Really if I could hop the distance I'd go over to where they make those things and slap the company owner with my tail! Then I'd rig explosives up to whatever hole they produce those miniture prison cells in and blow the whole thing up!

Oh well I can't do that, but I did manage to get my owner to sign (^^ )< His name's Daryl, 584 I think the number was.
SorubimLima
Location 1: Indiana
Interests: Shovelnoses

Post by SorubimLima »

Those fish in the "happy" three year old Aquababy were rosy barbs, which get 6 inches, and need to be kept in large groups. Perhaps next they will force RTC into plastic cups and tell people they are happy and helathy. Once, again the adverising dollar has enslaved more fish. Really ticked off, SorubimLima
Cat Count:2 Sorubims,1 pl*co, 1 twig, 2 pictus, 1 oto, 1 striped raphael, 3 Pygmy Cories
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

Im on board with this petition.

Kev
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
natefrog
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C.

Post by natefrog »

signed
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

What caught my attention is that Endler's Livebearer's can be "included in your package!!!!" I can't find those. :? The Barbs won't have any fins left. They'll kill each other. I signed. A lot of these small pails are sold in the US. Ironically, you tend to see them in the clearance aisle quite quickly. They're even too small for most houseplants.
Amanda

Return to “Speak Easy”