Sick albino cory with bloody spots

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Sick albino cory with bloody spots

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

Yesterday I was at a friend of mine's house. They have a nice-looking 20 gallon tank that houses some great-looking fish, including a usually-spry, 3" long, fat albino cory. The fish is usually doing regular cory things throughout the tank, but this time I noticed it was hiding under a leaf and breathing fast. When I got up close to it to see it better I noticed it was speckled with tiny bloody spots. We tested the water and the pH was 7.0 and ammonia 0, temp was 76. They don't have nitrite or nitrate test kits. What could cause this to happen to the fish? I offered the use of my quarantine tank, but I'm wondering what to do next to help? Is there something I can treat the fish with? I'd hate to see this cory die because I love going to my friend's house and seeing this great, tubby cory, so any information would be great. Thanks a bunch!!
Line up!
Fiskars the Whiskers
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

I have some Maracyn 2. Would something like this help? The fish is still the same and is very uncomfortable-looking. :cry:
Line up!
mkeanem
Location 1: LANCASHIRE UK

Post by mkeanem »

if you find what has caused it please let me know as lost 3 expensive cory's to somthing simalar last week and could not the cause
Fiskars the Whiskers

Unfortunately I usually rely on coming here for my main information. I couldn't find anything online. I searched for "fish with bloody spots" and "bloody fish spots," stuff like that, but I couldn't find anything. :( I'm really bummed out about the fish. He was awesome.
Line up!
Amanda_Allyammi
Location 1: Milton Freewater, OR
Interests: Fish...CORIES...

bloody spotts

Post by Amanda_Allyammi »

Did the fish die?
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

I lost a pepper cory the other week to this same illness I would also like info.
kkorotev
I've donated: $50.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 18
Spotted: 11
Location 1: Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post by kkorotev »

I have had Corydoras die from something I call "The Red Streak of Death". It does not manifest as spots as much as bloody streaks. It appears on wild imports more than suddenly appearing on a well established tank fish.
I have used FURACYN (an anti parasitic containing NITROFURAZONE) to some degree of success. I suggest you isolate the fish.

Good Luck,
Kevin

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”