Is this L 11/35/etc?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Sari
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland

Is this L 11/35/etc?

Post by Sari »

Hello,
I'm looking for an ID for my tiny new friend. This one is a baby, only 7 cm now. To me it looks like Squaliforma cf. emarginata, L 11/35/etc, but is he (or her?)? In most images L 11 has red hue on his fins, but mine doesn't - maybe that's because of him being a juvenile? Bellyside is all white, fins are very clear (see-thru).

If he is L 11, what am I to expect of the size? Cat-eLog says 17 cm (SL) but the new Datz special says 40+ cm? That's quite a difference...

Also found information on several sources that it can be mixed with Aphanotorulus, but can't find info on that, so don't know how to tell them apart.

Here's the pic, I hope it's clear enough... (and yes, the awful green plant is plastic, as he is in the quarantine tank)

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Aphanotorulus is now considered a junior synonym of Hypostomus.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Can you take a picture (close up) of the mouth!!??
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Sari

Post by Sari »

Sorry, took a while because the guy is really tiny and quick, but here's a pic of the mouth, not an excellent one, but I can hardly get a better one.

And a side-view:

Any help with the ID would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Sari
gboy
Location 1: northwest england
Interests: wild life

Post by gboy »

hi sari, i wish i could help with the id, but just to say , he or she is a lovely fish. goodluck. takecare. kind regards. gboy. :D :D :D
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Gboy: thanks to avoid trivial post such as this one!!

Sari: yes your friend 's fish is a Hypostomus of the former genus Aphanotorulus...

Either it is A. ammophilus or A. unicolor

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Sari

Post by Sari »

Hi Yann!
Thanks, it looks like the ones in the cat-eLog, but how to tell which one? What's the difference between H. ammophilus and unicolor? There's no info on either one of those in the cat-eLog, so any idea what am I to expect in size, diet and behaviour, tank temperature etc? My tank is 580 l (bottom size 200 x 58 cm) so that should be enough for even larger sizes, I think, unless it gets very territorial (accompanied by L 15, 124, 141, 163, 200 and a couple of regular bristlenoses plus cories, diamond tetras and bolivian rams). Any idea of the sex?

FishBase says 16.1/ 13.9 cm SL in size, is that correct? Any experience on these, anyone?

BTW: the fish is mine, not friend's - just calling him my new little friend tricked you :wink:

Gboy: thanks!

Return to “What is my catfish?”