Pictus and Bumble Bee Cat questions.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SimonW
Location 1: south east US
Interests: catfish! live music and bars

Pictus and Bumble Bee Cat questions.

Post by SimonW »

Hey, I have known about this site for a while, but just now got a tank large enough for a cat tank. I am wanting to go 1 of 2 ways...so far.

1. Getting 4 or 5 Pictus.
2. Getting 1 Bumble Bee.

First of all, the bumble bee gets around 8" when fully grown (i think). Do you think it will eat my dwarf flame gourami (roughly 2"s long) or my banjo cat (around 4-5" head to tail)? I can always set my 20g tank up again for those 2 if necessary, but I would rather them stay.

Second, would a 55g be large enough for a bumble bee if the water quality is kept good?

And for the pictus, how many would be the right amount for a 55g? I am thinking around 4-5.

I am really leaning more towards the bumble bee at the moment because I have always wanted to keep a larger fish. Also, I can get a young bumble bee for around $5-6 regulary. Pictus on the other hand seem to be more of a seasonal fish, as I do not see them at the stores but a few times a year. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I presume that by a 8" bumblebee, you mean . It will most likely eat your gourami at that size.
Second, would a 55g be large enough for a bumble bee if the water quality is kept good?
Yes.
And for the pictus, how many would be the right amount for a 55g? I am thinking around 4-5
That would be about right.
SimonW
Location 1: south east US
Interests: catfish! live music and bars

Post by SimonW »

Silurus wrote:I presume that by a 8" bumblebee, you mean .
Well, the thing about that is from what I understand two catfish are commonly called bumblebee cats in fish stores. One being that kind, and one only getting around 4". I am hoping it is Batrochoglanis raninus. Does anyone know how to distinguish the two?

Thanks
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The other would be .

They are fairly easy to tell apart. Microglanis has a lot more yellow.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”