eupterus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
sanskrit
Location 1: Rockland, Maine

eupterus?

Post by sanskrit »

ok. on thursday i bought a baby syno from this awesome pet store that i posted about and i think that its a juv synodontis eupterus. it has the lacey pattern the branched feelers the high fin..... but im not familiar with juvs of other syno species so i cant be sure :? . i have no way of getting pics of mine but if anyone has pics of theirs id be eternally grateful. ive been looking for a eupterus to grow out and im really excited about this lil guy. BTW he looks almost exactly like this...

the only difference is that he's slightly more yellow and the lines on his tail are more solid and extend to the edges of his tail. thanks for the help!! :)
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

The photo IS of a juvenile S. eupterus.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The juvenile synos one usually sees in a pet store with that kind of pattern are eupterus. Some nigritas have a pattern close to that, but the lines are usually not as numerous and well-defined.
sanskrit
Location 1: Rockland, Maine

Post by sanskrit »

thanks for the help. i wasnt aware of how many other juv synos had that coloration :D .
and im well aware that the photo is of a eupterus because i posted it from this sites cat-elog. see you 'round :) .
ACC in NC
Location 1: North Carolina

Post by ACC in NC »

Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Acc in NY... there is no way that this fish is S. brichardi... really a different Syno, the shape and color is well different...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “What is my catfish?”