Otto cat breeding?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ladyhawk
Location 1: MS
Interests: Fish,animals, RPGing & most important, my family.

Otto cat breeding?

Post by ladyhawk »

First I'm really stupid as to what forum to put my question in...so I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong spot :)

I have 4 Otto cats in a 46 gal. planted tank. I have had few before and I think if I read that not much is known about their breeding habbits. I am familiar with the fact that these happy little cleaners do get very round like thet swallowed a pea :lol:

However I have 1 that I notice has a orange/pink area in her lower belly. It rather reminds me of the gravid spot in my live bearers. The area just between the fins on the bottom side of the fish. I will try for a picture. Is this a egg spot? Do they breed in tanks? Any advise would be much appreciated :)

Thanks
Swapping a full 55 Gal for 100 Gal(in the same spot) is like rocket science!
ladyhawk

A pic!

Post by ladyhawk »

This is about as close as I could get and still be clear...hope it helps! :D

Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Either very well fed or full of eggs! Or got a bloat disease? which you think?

G.
Bowsa
Location 1: Macclesfield, England
Interests: Fish, Football, Redwine and Whiskey

Post by Bowsa »

About 3 or 4 days ago I notice one of my Otto's swollen, I assumed it was "bloat". It's so big it can't "sit" on it's fins but just rocks backwards and forwards on it's huge stomach.

You've cheered me up at the prospect that it could be pregnant...after saying that I'll probably get back from work and find it dead tonight.

I'll think positive...and hope!
Ian
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

When my otos fill up with eggs, I can actually see them inside the females abdomen in the bottom half of the cavity. They are yellow with a tinge of green. I keep meaning to get a picture of it, but the fish seem to have a 6th sense about me picking up that camera, it seems ;)

Barbie
ladyhawk

Otto bellies??

Post by ladyhawk »

Well I don't think a round Otto is a bad thing :) Ever since I first stumbeled onto these guys I have heard they get very round(like swallowing a pea). It's just this one has that spot that is a strange color. Actullay I notice two of mine do have this, but this one is more noticeable.

I know they are egg scatteres and I think I might have 2 males. But I don't know if I have to do something..........like a big water change to get them to spawn. It would be SOOOOOOO cool to get baby Ottos in my tank :D

Also in the pic. above in the dark spot you'll see a litlle thingy that reminds me of a egg tube :? Not sure. And the spot is orange/pink under tank light BUT with a flash light at night the spot is more yellowish :?
ladyhawk

On the right track....

Post by ladyhawk »

Ok so I did a search under Shanes world. I found one Articel on a guy that breed his Ottos. What he says happened in his tank, looks to be happening in mine :)

I better get some drift wood or something in there for them. I only have 1 clay pot wit a ton of plants. I also have a few differences in water I might try and tinker with.If any one can add to this PLEASE do!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”