Yellow plec?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Pamela
Location 1: Ontario, Canada

Yellow plec?

Post by Pamela »

My LFS had a small plec for sale, labelled as a "yellow plec". It was of course clueless staff day, so no one knew a more specific name/size/etc. I did look through the cat-elog, but I confess not all of the L-numbers. Perhaps one of you can narrow it down a bit?

The current size was about 2.5". Colour was a light tan (coffee with double cream colour), no obvious markings. The different thing was the face/eyes. It didn't have the same shape as a common, or a bristlenose, rubbernose, or clown plec. The eyes were dark and seemed very large and round for its face. A little pronounced perhaps? If you can take a guess, thanks. :)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

?

Otherwise an albino Liposarcus pardalis, as these seem to be the only all-yellow plecos one would encounter in an LFS.
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

Neither of those. Very small head, I would guess not of either of those two groups either. It wasn't albino. More of a light brown as opposed to a true "yellow". Oh well, I'll keep browsing the L numbers in my spare time. It was only $6.99, so I don't imagine it was too exotic. :)
INXS
Location 1: Litchfield, CT

Post by INXS »

In that price range I would imagine either a "yellow chocolate pleco" - not sure about the proper name or albino ancistrus.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Can yo describe the overall shape?

Could it be a species of Hemiloricaria or Rineloricaria such as
Also keep in mind that it can be something totally different form a Loricariidae....

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

Definitely not one of the two above choices. It's a very smooth bodied plec, no spikes or exaggerated scales or plates. I'll have to go back and see if the person who knows what's up is there. :)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Is this fish it?

This is an albino Gyrinocheilus aymonieri. Not a catfish.
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Hillstream Loach?

G.

Return to “What is my catfish?”