Really C. julii?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Fish Demon
Location 1: SF Bay Area
Interests: I keep lots of fish, but I am really interested in catfish (especially corys).

Really C. julii?

Post by Fish Demon »

I found these corys at my LFS, and I have a good feeling that they are C. julii, but there is still some doubt. They are still young, with the biggest one being a bit over an inch long. They have mostly singular spots, but some of them are connected, as in C. trilineatus. The line on the side is broken, and the flanks have no vertical stripes, a trait that is normally seen in C. trilineatus. Also, they have a very short, round nose, which is more pronounced in C. julii

So would anyone care to give me a positive ID on them? Here are the pictures (they are nearly impossible to get pictures of now that they've settled in, so I had to take them out to get the good shots).

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
-Natalie

April 20, 2001

Q: How tall is Cartman in real life?

A: Well, Cartman doesn't exist in real life, but if he did he'd be two feet tall.
JdubsVW
Location 1: Lancaster,PA

Post by JdubsVW »

These pics are alot better than the first ones I saw, but I m still curious :lol:
Proud Member Aquarium Club of Lancaster County
jurassic_pork
Location 1: midlands U.K

Post by jurassic_pork »

C.Ambiacus ?

Mark :)
Fish Demon
Interests: I keep lots of fish, but I am really interested in catfish (especially corys).

Post by Fish Demon »

Ummm... C. ambiacus doesn't look much like C. julii at all... :lol: :lol:

C. ambiacus
-Natalie

April 20, 2001

A: Well, Cartman doesn't exist in real life, but if he did he'd be two feet tall.
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

It's Gotta be a C. julii for sure!!

G.
certan
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Istanbul
Location 2: Turkey

Post by certan »

In my opinion, it can still be a C. trilineatus. The stripes on the caudal fin make me think so. :roll:
Cem Ertan
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

To much bold spots on face area and head shape forwards me to C Julii. But it's just my Opinoins also.

G.
jurassic_pork
Location 1: midlands U.K

Post by jurassic_pork »

Fish Demon wrote:Ummm... C. ambiacus doesn't look much like C. julii at all... :lol: :lol:

Either that picture is not C.ambiacus or the cory handbook i have is pictured wrongly :)

C. ambiacus
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I have covered this ground many times before, C. julii is very infrequently imported and the chances of it turning up out of the blue in a LFS is very slim. Their natural range is in the eastern part of central Brazil near Alto Parnaiba in a small tributary of the Rio Parnaiba. When viewed from the front it is quite slim.

On the other hand C. trilineatus is a chunky looking fish, which has a very variable colour pattern, from bold wavey lines and blotches to quite fine spotting. The bigest difference is that C. trilineatus is found predominantly in Peru from the Rio Ampiyacu.

I would estimate that there is a distance of may be 2000 miles between the two species.

C. ambiacus has also been mentioned in this post, it is also a vary variable species but bares no resemblance at all to C. julii or C. trilineatus.

Ian
Fish Demon

Post by Fish Demon »

So you're saying that my corys are C. trilineatus?

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
-Natalie

April 20, 2001

Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Without being able to determine the true source of your fish I would still favor C. trilineatus as being their ID.

Ian

Return to “What is my catfish?”