ID of a pl*co sold as L 247

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Sari
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland

ID of a pl*co sold as L 247

Post by Sari »

Hello!

I have a pl*co that has been sold to me as L 247, Cumina Peckoltia, but I have been told that it's not that - and it also doesn't look like the one in Aqualog.

I have pictures of it on my website, at http://www.sarinakvaario.net/cumina.htm and some more (bellyside and mouth - not very good quality) at http://www.sarinakvaario.net/cumi.htm

He is about 10 cm, very active, always the first one to come out for food (and as you can see from the belly-pictures, he's been home for lunch :D). He's reacts strongly to light: he's pale yellow in bright light and dark yellow with dark brown stripes in shades. Although he reacts to light with his colour, it doesn't seem to bother him, he's very fearless and active. He eats pellets (seems to like most the ones with spirulina and wood chips like JBL PlecoChips) and raw vegetables (zucchini, cucumber, salad - and my used-to-be-beautiful sword plants...).

Anyone ID this? (might be piece of cake for you...)
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

hi...imho its an L15 Peckoltia cf. vittata
cheers
Christian
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I would not be 100% with the L15 appelation, as it refer usually to a specific location/river, but I do agree that it might well be a Peckoltia cf/ sp aff vittata , but I find him to be slightly different morphology speaking...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Sari

Post by Sari »

Thanks for trying Caol and Yann. I know these can be tricky to identify, but I was hoping someone might. It would be nice to know what you have in your tank... :D

Yann, what makes you think it's not L 15? Is it Peckoltia for sure? I've heard guesses of Panaqolus as well, but I guess the teeth are different (not that I'd know how they differ).
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi Sari!

No doubt about the possible genus, a really good chance that it is a Peckoltia and I sincerely doubt it is a Panaqolus.
Many species are sold under the name of Peckoltia vittata and they are all looking alike but differ slightly in the body shape or colour morphology. Until some important scientific study will be undergone to clear all this all as it is rather a mess!

I doubt it is L15 because mainly L# are given to Loricariids species found at a certain river . So unless you know exact collection data, it is hard to say what species it is. The only best possible guess would be Peckoltia sp aff vittata

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Sari

Post by Sari »

Thanks Yann,
obviously I have no idea where he has been collected, as he was sold to me as Cumina Peckoltia... so no use asking that dealer!
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to stick with him being "The Unidentified Pl*co" in the tank, the others I'm pretty sure of.

Return to “What is my catfish?”