Algae wafers

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bernt
Location 1: Norway

Algae wafers

Post by bernt »

Iâ??ve been using Wardly algae discs for some time now, but after a discussion with some other catfish aquarists Iâ??m a little confused. They mean that JBL or Hikari are better brands. I havenâ??t any experience with these brands, but now Iâ??m thinking of changing to one of them. Have anyone tried JBL or Hikari?

- Bernt -
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I have used Hikari and I can tell you they are way better than Wardley's. My cats would take a while to start eating the Wardley's wafers when I throw them in, but are on the Hikari wafers almost immediately after they hit the water.
bernt

Post by bernt »

Thatâ??s what Iâ??ve heard, and thatâ??s why I like to try another brand. Another advantage is that Hikari is available in larger quantities than Wardly. My Wardly-box is empty after only a short while...
In addition to the Wardly algae discs Iâ??ve been using Wardly shrimp sticks, which the fish seems to be quite happy with. Does i.e. Hikari have a similar product, and if so, how are the qulity?

- Bernt -
jurassic_pork
Location 1: midlands U.K

Post by jurassic_pork »

Yeah i agree hikari are way better,My lfs ran out of my usual hikari algae wafers and i thought wardley would be fine :? It took the cats a few days to even touch them let alone eat them.
I will only swear by hikari now and use the green packet of algae wafers and the carnivore pellets i think they are called :)

Mark
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Does i.e. Hikari have a similar product, and if so, how are the qulity?
Hikari's Carnivore Pellets. The food of gods for catfishes.
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

I have recently started feeding my guys the H. bloodworms and brine shrimps and can readily attest to their popularity, besides the algae wafers, which, as Silurus describes get hit the moment they're in the water - my platies love them. Excellent quality and if the fish are any indication quite yummy :razz: You have to shop around a bit like all other things but Big Al's prices are pretty good for these foods in particular. I first saw someone attest to Hikari algae wafers here and tried them, I'm happy to say the rest of what I have tried is just as good. Good luck!
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
brianfl
Location 1: South Florida

Post by brianfl »

Hikari algae wafers are definitely the way to go. With the ponds and all, I get the 1kg size. You were right, they make large bags :) Now if I could get the carivore pellets in a bag half that large. The carnivore pellets are food all my fish go crazy for.
Brian
mallemalle
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 15
My cats species list: 20 (i:1, k:11)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:29)
Spotted: 29
Location 1: Gjerdrum
Location 2: Norway
Interests: doradids,banjos,bumblebees and suckers.

Post by mallemalle »

ive more or less stopped with the other brands after i got my hands on food from Hikari, it seems like the fish uses more or less everything that these products contains, and best of all is that my fish eats everything and i have less cleaning job in my fishtanks. :P

mallemalle
Soup is good food!
plecolover
Location 1: Hongkong

Post by plecolover »

I have used both Hikari and JBL. I found my plecos like both, but Hikari is more stable in water. I recommend Hikari :D
No one gets left behind!!!!
bernt

Post by bernt »

OK, so Hikari is the thing to use. But what about JBL?

- Bernt -
Last edited by bernt on 17 Jun 2004, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
mallemalle
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 15
My cats species list: 20 (i:1, k:11)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:29)
Spotted: 29
Location 1: Gjerdrum
Location 2: Norway
Interests: doradids,banjos,bumblebees and suckers.

Post by mallemalle »

bernt wrote:OK, so Hikari is the thing to use. But what about JBL? It's easier for me to find JBL than Hikari here in Norway...

- Bernt -
hvor i Norge bor du?

mallemalle
Soup is good food!
bernt

Post by bernt »

Oslo.

Sorry about this Norwegian talk, guys :D

- Bernt -
Last edited by bernt on 17 Jun 2004, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Elspeth
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kansas City, Missouri

Post by Elspeth »

My veg-eaters seem to like Wardley wafers okay; they prefer zucchini and sweet potato, though.

The meat-eaters say Hikari Carnivore Pellets taste better, but I don't know that I can afford to make it their primary diet! Oog, they are expensive around here! I finally got some mail-order from Big Al's, I will have to check and see if there is a large economy size. Until then they will just have to get along on a varied diet of shrimp pellets, shredded "krab", and Hikari Pellets as a treat...
Bowsa
Location 1: Macclesfield, England
Interests: Fish, Football, Redwine and Whiskey

Post by Bowsa »

Thanks for the advice from you all, tried the Hikani waffers for first time last night, the Gourami's were at the waffers before waffers reached bottom of tank. Thought my cats wouldn't get a look in but my gold nugget is certainly not shy and soon muscled in for a good quoff.
Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”