Ps. niger

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Converting
Location 1: Calgary, Alberta Canada

Ps. niger

Post by Converting »

http://www.cichlidgallery.com/album110/ ... IMG?full=1

Here is a linked pic of my ps Niger.

This was a rescue cat from a 50 gallon at a fish store for over a year. I couldn't stand seeing him in there anymore.

He has now rocketed to easily one of my favorite fish. After 12 inches the hiding became few and far betweem Very hand tame. I can pet him, hand feed him whatever. Also the best cichlid clean up crew I could imagine. It is amazing to see a fish that large so clean.
kurtz
Location 1: southern california
Interests: doradids

Post by kurtz »

very cool my all time favorite cat ! i have a 24 incher that eats out of my hand and always comes to the front of the tank when i walk near it . thank god for wal mart selling the packages of 24 canadian night crawlers for 2.72 otherwise i would be broke mine is a pig ! cheers for getting him out of the 50 gallon . my p niger gets along with any fish the only thing that fears him are the worms !
Converting

Post by Converting »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

very cool my all time favorite cat ! i have a 24 incher that eats out of my hand and always comes to the front of the tank when i walk near it . thank god for wal mart selling the packages of 24 canadian night crawlers for 2.72 otherwise i would be broke mine is a pig ! cheers for getting him out of the 50 gallon . my p niger gets along with any fish the only thing that fears him are the worms !
Definately. What is cool about them is you can keep them with most fish. Mine is in with aggressive cichlids in an 7 foot byt 30 inch wide tank and sometimes I can't even find him. It amazes me that a fish that big can hide so well when he wants to. I swear I thought about ginving this fish away for a long time and now that he hit 12 inches and the personality came pouring out, I will keep him as long as I can.

I have one question though....what is a canadian night crawler???
kurtz

Post by kurtz »

I have one question though....what is a canadian night crawler???

they are large worms (night crawlers ) that are shipped in from canada . we have them in the U.S. but they must be able to get them cheaper from canada
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

a canadian night crawler? that's easy, they're annelids that wear a maple leaf's jersey ;) if you were serious, it's a species of worm/nightcrawler that is sold mostly as bait for fishing down here(dunno, they may just sell them as worms or something up there). They're great for fish, although all the different types are as far as I know. canadian night crawlers are just most common, at least in my area, to be sold as bait.

I'm certainly hoping my pseudodoras gains some personality, he's at about 7 inches and seems terribly shy... always wedging himself in a driftwood tangle or staying in the PVC...
kurtz

Post by kurtz »

oops not hip on the quote method sorry
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

haha, beat me by 3 minutes
kurtz

Post by kurtz »

hey s. allen mine was the same way until he got about 15 inches but i do not think you should take a chance on him losing his shyness i would just ship him to me if i were you ( joking )
velocity
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: fish, hockey

Post by velocity »

i saw one of these catfish at my lfs yesterday. HE WAS HUGE! hes in a 400 gallon tank with an rtc, ghost knife, and an arowana. He was even bigger then the RTC and he was at least 3 feet. How big do these things grow to? Im thinking of getting one. They look prehistoric.
2,000 gallon south american pond in construction

120:
3 oscars
1 lima shovelnose
1 common pleco

72 (saltwater reef)

20 community
gourmi
pictus
iridescent shark
silver tip tetra
rainbow shark
kurtz

Post by kurtz »

suppose to get 36 inches . was the big one for sale if so how much i might have to make a road trip
Converting

Post by Converting »

Thanks guys but I was sacrcastic about the night crawlers. I just think it is funny that walmart calls them Canadian. :roll:
velocity

Post by velocity »

kurtz wrote:suppose to get 36 inches . was the big one for sale if so how much i might have to make a road trip
no he wasnt for sale, but you probably could make an offer. In freshwater sale section they got 2 more of these things but they are a bit smaller.

120:
3 oscars
1 lima shovelnose
1 common pleco

72 (saltwater reef)

20 community
gourmi
pictus
iridescent shark
silver tip tetra
rainbow shark
Converting

Post by Converting »

I would just a small one. Mine has grown to about 14 inches in about 9 months. That is after being stunted at 4-5 in a 50 at the fish store for a year. I think they grow as fast as any cat I have owned.
velocity

Post by velocity »

very nice i may have to look into this cat.

120:
3 oscars
1 lima shovelnose
1 common pleco

72 (saltwater reef)

20 community
gourmi
pictus
iridescent shark
silver tip tetra
rainbow shark
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

[quote="S. Allen"]a canadian night crawler? that's easy, they're annelids that wear a maple leaf's jersey ;) bwahaha be good . . .

that's one ugly puss! what's the gold guy in behind him, looks almost like a snake?
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

ugly????

too bad they get far too big for a hometank IMO, but I'd love to keep a few if only they'd stick to 1 foot or so.

unfortunately.....

the snake-like fish is some kind of Polypterus spp.
but with only the head visible, hard to see wich species.
Valar Morghulis
Converting

Post by Converting »

Polypterus lapredei =snake like thing

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”