Multis and Petricolas

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
stallion81
Location 1: Rockford,IL

Multis and Petricolas

Post by stallion81 »

Has anyone had any experience with these 2 cats in the same tank? Was wondering if this would work? Would they "shoal" together due to colors? I currently have 2 Syno Multis (both male) in a 55 with 8 malawi , FF plec , batro. raninus , and a unidentified syno. The next fish auction the bat ran and the FF will go(size probs), and they usually have petricola there. I dont think more multis could fit and they are wild and rather expensive. But I also dont SEE them that much with just 2. So could the smaller petricola led to "schoaling"? Oh and also the unidentified syno will be sold also. Its just I know its only a 55 and I love my cats but want too see them more without overcrowding too much. The multis are about 3.5-4" . About 32" -36" of full grown cichlids(not full grown yet=bout 20" now). Bat. Raninus is 4" , FF plec is 6" , and unknown syno is bout3". I havent had any probs in a long time (all together since Feb.) except for the Bat. Raninus eating sum small cichlids before I realized he was S.A. not Asian=no new cichlids=). But sorry for rantin and thanks again to BARBIE my Multis are all well and happy (at night) and Ick free.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Yes, you can keep S. multipunctatus and S. petricola in the same tank. No, they will not shoal together. And you would see more of both if they were in a larger tank.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

and of course it's best to keep more of a single species, than a few of more species.

I'd suggest stick to either petri's OR multipuncs and keep 4-5 at least.
Valar Morghulis
stallion81
Location 1: Rockford,IL

Post by stallion81 »

Thanks SID and DINYAR. Well the auction isn't till Sept. so if the fish i'm sellin fetch some decent $$$$ , would 2 more Multis be feasable in a 55( US gals ,large footprint) ? That would put me at 8 malawis (32-36") and 4 Multis(16" im guessin they dont get much larger than 4" apiece). Ive owned 1 since early Jan. and the other 1 month later and neither has noticably grown. They are F 0's where I get them so they are $40 a pop. Anymore suggestions on where I should go with the tank is appreciated. And I suppose the Petricola is out , due to the fact I've already got the Multis. But i can get the Petricola for half the price LOL (not F 0 though). Thanks again!!!
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

$40 for S. multipunctatus is a ripoff. You can buy nice F0 multipunctatus for as little as $15 online. Even with shipping, that would come to a lot less than $40.

A standard US 55 gal tank has a narrow footprint. I have one myself (and dislike it now, though I bought it almost ten years ago when I didn't know better).

Yes, you could accommodate four S. multipunctatus into a 55 g, though they'd be more active in a larger tank.
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

stallion81

$40 a pop is not exceptable. You have to many wholesalers in city. Check out http://www.boesterscichlids.com/ who live in lovespark and I also know someone else that live on the south side of Rockford. He has 40 tanks running with way to many fish that I want. Email or pm me for his email address if interested.

Chris
The plecos are calling!!!

Return to “African Catfishes”