What is the different between Rita Rita dn Rita Gogra

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Piranha
Location 1: Hong Kong

What is the different between Rita Rita dn Rita Gogra

Post by Piranha »

I also Have one but cannot idenify! And what is their behavious!
Pls help!

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Rita gogra has a thick layer of muscle on top of the head while R. rita has only a thin layer of skin. From the looks of it, I'd say you have R. rita. Both species are behaviorally similar, although it seems that R. gogra is a lot more intolerant of conspecifics than R. rita.
beta
My images: 72
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 31
Location 2: Chennai, India
Interests: Indian Native Fishes

Post by beta »

Yes. These Gogra's are really aggressive they really have a go at each other and usually there is only 1 left
Laguviashawi
My images: 2
Spotted: 1
Location 1: India

Re: What is the different between Rita Rita dn Rita Gogra

Post by Laguviashawi »

Piranha wrote:I also Have one but cannot idenify! And what is their behavious!
Pls help!

The pix of the white cat is that of Albino Rita rita collected 85 Km from Kolkata, a place called Nabadwip and the river is the Bhagirathi which is offshoot of the Ganges. These fish were collected about 75 pcs over a period of a month in the same location and sizes ranged between 4 cm - 6.5 cm. This is the first time that these fish were collected in albinistic form, and that too in such large numbers in the same time frame and locality. Hypothetical Conclusion : Maybe a pair or atleast one parent adult Albino Rita Rita had spawned in that area and these are the results. I had camped in that place for two weeks to witness this UNCOMMON phenomenon and I had shipped these fish to Hong Kong and Osaka. There were a few light colored specimens too, one of which was given to Heok Hee on his recent trip to India last month.

Andrew

Return to “Asian Catfishes”