Cories and high temps

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Dude123
Location 1: Canada
Interests: Fish

Cories and high temps

Post by Dude123 »

Would Peppered cories be able to live in a high temp tank with discus?. The temp would be around 80-82F

thanks
-The Fish Man
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

C. paleatus does prefer cooler water. I have spawned them in water below 70 degrees. That being said, during the summer months the water in my fish room can reach 82 degrees, the C. paleatus do fine. Over the long run I do not think they would like the high temperature all the time. C. sterbai would do much better.

Mark
fishnut2
I've donated: $151.00!
My images: 4
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Chicago

Post by fishnut2 »

I totally agree with Corybreed, but would like to add Robinae and Gossei to the warm water list. As far as cold water for paleatus...my albino paleatus are spawning as I post this in 72 degree water.
The proof (temps) is in the eggs!
Rich
Alan_au
Location 1: Caboolture, QLD, Australia
Interests: aquaculture, angling,gardening

Post by Alan_au »

C. caudimaculatus and C. bondi bondi are another two species the like it warm. Unfortunately none of these five species are common or cheap. But then, for a discus tank, who wants the every day catfish.

Alan
When life gives you lemons ask for a bottle of tequila & salt.
The only danger I find in life is to take too many precautions, some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
Dude123
Location 1: Canada
Interests: Fish

Post by Dude123 »

Thanks guys!
-The Fish Man
fishnut2
I've donated: $151.00!
My images: 4
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Chicago

Post by fishnut2 »

I'll have the gossei available soon for a reasonable price...as they are spawning again today too! I'll see if I can get you a few pics. Sorry Dude123; but I don't ship to Canada :(
Rich
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Curious about paletus....since they like cooler waters, in a tank with adequate filtration, would paletus thrive with goldfish?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I would think the paleatus would be alright with the goldfish.

Mark
certan
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Istanbul
Location 2: Turkey

Post by certan »

I have kept C. paleatus with goldfish for a long time. There have never been a problem at all, but just for once! And that was a real nightmare.

I had added two juvenile paleatus to the tank just to increase the number of them. One of my goldfish, which was about 8-9 cm without the tail, must have thought that they were a new kind of food. With a sudden attack, he caught one of the paleatus. Since the paleatus locked the spine of his dorsal fin, he got stucked in goldfish's mouth. It took me about 20 minutes to take it out of the mouth of the goldfish. The result was a goldfish with a torn mouth and a dead paleatus.

It was another good example for me not to keep species from different habitats together. Although they both like cooler temperatures, the goldfish could not know that the paleatus is not a food for him.
Cem Ertan
EDGE
Location 1: BC, Canada

Post by EDGE »

C. Sterbai and C. adolfoi can handle the warmer water. around 28c (82f).

They are readily available in Canada, but they still have a higher price tag compare to the common cories.
Jeff B.
Location 1: Croatia
Interests: Lnumbers, Corys...

Post by Jeff B. »

What about C.Schwartzi?? Does 27°C sounds good or bad for them...? tnx
Vedran Stincic
Alan_au
Location 1: Caboolture, QLD, Australia
Interests: aquaculture, angling,gardening

Post by Alan_au »

If they still appear happy at that temperature Jeff, I would not worry. Mine spawn at the the 24 -25*C. mark so 27 C. may not be outside their limits.

Alan
When life gives you lemons ask for a bottle of tequila & salt.
The only danger I find in life is to take too many precautions, some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
Jeff B.
Location 1: Croatia
Interests: Lnumbers, Corys...

Post by Jeff B. »

Alan , how soft is water in your breeding tank...? i am planning to breed C.Schwartzi soon...
all of my frends are waiting for litlle corys and they can't wait anymore, and honestly, neither can I... :wink: tnx!
Vedran Stincic
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

I have my C.Schwartzi at 29 degs and they're fine. Well its that warm here in Singapore! :evil:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”