Otos don't eat hair algae?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fmueller
Location 1: Kent, OH
Location 2: Kent, OH, USA
Interests: Visit www.fmueller.com to find out!

Otos don't eat hair algae?

Post by fmueller »

I have recently set up a 29G with 6 otocinclus vittatus and some tetras (6 hatchet, 11 neon). I never thought I'd have any problems with algae in this tank, but now I can't get rid of some nasty long hair algae on the top right hand side on the Java moss, just under the lamp. Picture was taken before the hair algae developed.

The tank including the canopy came from Walmart, and I am using the single plant neon tube that came with it. The light is on from 11am to 11pm. In the morning the tank catches some direct sunlight from the other side of where the algae are growing, but I don't think that's a contributing factor, because the Java moss is the part of the tank that gets least of it.

I am currently cutting back the Java moss including the algae on a weekly basis; ie whenever I do a water change. There are no other algae visible in the tank. The otos are very active, but apparently they don't like to eat this particular kind of algae. I also feed them cucumber and other vegies (always something present in the tank), as well as Hikari Algae Wafers (2-3 times per week).

Is there anything I can do to get rid of these particular algae, without affecting other algae, and depriving my otos of their favorite food?
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

If your tank contains only smaller species, I'd get some Amano Shrimp (Cardina japonica I believe).

Since you posted your location, I can tell you that RMS in Middleburg Heights has some for $3.99 each. The Strongsville, OH store likely carries them as well. PM for directions if needed.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Would American flagfish be of any use?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
MikeWinLDS
Location 1: Arizona, USA

Post by MikeWinLDS »

SAE will take care of it. Oru says his get aggressive like CAE, though.
catfish_dude
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: New Zealand
Interests: catfish, rugby, cricket

Post by catfish_dude »

I believe the only fish to eat hair algae is the true SAE.
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

A number of barbs (smaller species) will eat hair algae but not Black Brush algae, Black Ruby barbs being a personal favorite.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Rosy barbs will also eat BBA. I usually put a few of the long fin variety in, as they seem to not be as nippy. Ameca splendens, mollies, S. petricola, and a few others will also eat it. I prefer the amano shrimp method, myself.

Barbie
Last edited by Barbie on 01 May 2004, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Wow - many thanks for all the input. Good to know that S. petricola eat hair algae. I'll kep that in mind for my Tang tank, which is currently under construction!

For my little 29G I decided to go the Amano Shrimp route. I just bought some of Takashi Amano's books, and am fascinated by his setups. I am pretty sure he claims that these shrimp are only available in Japan, but I guess that was before the great success of his books :D

Anyway, those of you in Ohio might be interested to hear that RMS does not usually stock Amano shrimp. I called the stores in Parma and Strongsville, and they had never heard about them. I then called the store in Middleburg Heights, and the owner confirmed that they had had them in the store - only they were his own shrimp that he had had in his home tank and didn't want anymore. So that was a one time offering and he was not planning to stock them anytime soon. However, he pointed me towards http://www.floridadriftwood.com, from where he had bought his shrimp.

I have just placed an order for 6 shrimp (minimum order), which will be my first life delivery by mail! Please all keep fingers crossed for me and my 6 little friends to be :lol:

BTW - http://www.floridadriftwood.com also sells Florida Flagfish (FFF) - presumably the same as American Flagfish, which are touted as another great hair algae eater on their site.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Today I received my 6 Amano shrimp from FloridaDriftwood, which shows that they are not the fastest place out there with respect to delivery - aparently they were out of stock and only got in a new shipment on Monday. However, all of them were alife and looked healthy as far I I could see. I did a quick water change in my tank (hadn't done on in a week), and slowly accustomed the shrimp to the new water. About half an hour ago, I released them into the tank, and at the moment they are running around as if they owned the place :D They are much more active than I expected, and run along the glass all the way to the water surface. Now lets see if they get stuck into those pesky hair algae!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”