Tank Stock---Dojo Loaches in a 20 Long?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Tank Stock---Dojo Loaches in a 20 Long?

Post by Taratron »

A friend of mine wants to add a pair of dojo loaches, and 6 kuhli loaches to his 20 gallons (long) tank.

My questions:

Will dojo loaches do okay in tropical fish tanks?
Would the dojos school/shoal with the kuhlis?

Tank size. I've been told on other web sites that this tank size is "fine" for dojos. But how fine is "fine?" Oscar in a 55 gallon minimum fine? Betta in a cup of water fine?

The other tank inhabitants include a BN pleco, some small gouramis, and cherry barbs.

Another question, this one for a 29 gallon. If you have pygmy cories, peppered cories (paletus), and brochis cats in the same tank, and one species spawns, what are the chances of hybridizing cories? We -hate- the idea of hybrids! :twisted:
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
MikeWinLDS
Location 1: Arizona, USA

Post by MikeWinLDS »

I have a Dojo in a 55-gallon. The max temperature he's been introduced to is probably around 82-86°±
F. They would even do fine in a 10-gallon. I'm going set my heater to 80° from now on though. I had two, but one "escaped" and was found dried up on the floor. Had him for several years now, and he's about 6" long. They stay relatively small, girthwise, so it's no big deal. I've seen really fat Kuhlis though.
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Weather loaches life span would be reduced with heated water and their mad-cap behavior with lower pressure in the air would cause some upset in a 20Gal. Pepper loaches which look similar to weather loaches would be my preferred choice. Schooling together is a No No! They will be fine together but that's it. I would'nt adivse it.

G.
jurassic_pork
Location 1: midlands U.K

Post by jurassic_pork »

I had a dojo loach in a 30 gallon for a few month's with other loaches but he was the only dojo in there,Awhile later i found another dojo loach at a LFS and purchased him,They never really interacted with one another and kept out of each others way.
They were in there together around a week before i found the smaller second introduced dojo dead with a badly bitten tail.
Maybe this explains it.

Mark :)

Return to “Tank Talk”