Breeding Corydoras Aneaus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
colin
Location 1: Malta

Breeding Corydoras Aneaus

Post by colin »

Can anyone offer me any help.

I can succesfully get my group of bronzes to lay eggs. I then remove the eggs to a floating breeder in the Cory tank. I add a few drops of fungus killer and can get the eggs to hatch. But I cannot get the young to live more than a few days. I feed from day one with microworm and have recently tried egglayer liquifry no 1. Is it too early to feed.?

I would really appreciate any help on this from anyone who has successfully raised the little guys.

Colin
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I believe the problem you are having is feeding the fry to soon. You have to wait 3 to 4 days for the yolk sack to dissolve before you start feeding the fry. I like using live baby brine initially because I can see the stomachs turn red and I know that they are eating.
Mark
colin

Post by colin »

Thanks

I have just put another batch of eggs in the breeder and I will wait 4 days after hatching before feeding. I have baby brine shrimp for my guppies so I will try that.

I will let you know how it goes

Colin
colin

Post by colin »

Just an update

I now can see about 8 small fry on the floor of the breeder - sometimes swimming up a little way. It has been 6 days since I put the eggs in the breeder and there are still eggs around. I am still treating with anti fungus ( just 2 drops daily) is this ok ?

Colin
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

After 6 days I would say that the eggs are not viable, most Corys hatch in 4 days. I would personally stop the treatment and remove the unhatched eggs.

Ian
der Ingo
Location 1: Southern California
Interests: Plecos!

Post by der Ingo »

In my experience, it has always been best to remove the eggs from the tank while treating for fungus. Fry often have a hard time living in freshly put in water because not all of the reactions have gone to completion. I have found that by removing the eggs to a small tank with an air stone to be the best. Also, for changing the water in the small tank, just use water from the established tank. This way, the fry are getting the more aged water.
colin

Post by colin »

I cleaned out all the old eggs but had lost 6 of the fry ( dead) . I put a clean breeder into the cory tank and transferred the two remaining fry. I am alternating with a little microworm and a little bbs and touch wood they seem to be responding.

Obviously trying to hatch them and then rear them in the breeder is the wrong tactic. Getting the eggs away from the young before they go bad seems to be the problem.

I dont have any tanks small enough for the fry except for an old plastic one gallon tank. This would be unheated and the weather isnt really that warm yet. In about May it should warm up enough to transfer the two little ones to it, with an airstone or a sponge filter. Question - has anyone put say a 50 w heater into a plastic tank without melting the tank ?

For now I will just persevere with the breeder.

Colin

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”