What is the Smallest, Most Common Corydoras Specie?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MikeWinLDS
Location 1: Arizona, USA

What is the Smallest, Most Common Corydoras Specie?

Post by MikeWinLDS »

What is the smallest (adult size in inches) Corydoras specie (scientific and common name) commonly found at pet stores? There are so many Cory Cats in the catalog, and you can't sort them by data. A group of Clown Loaches would be too big once they get near the adult size, so I was thinking about a small group of Cory Cats.

The smallest one I've seen on the catalog are Panda Corydoras and it is recorded that they get about 1.8" but I've never seen them around any pet stores here. The ones I've seen at pet stores are Corydoras Aeneus (Bronze and Albino), Peppered Cory, and Emerald Cory. The Emeralds get too large for my tastes.
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

The smallest :P cory Cats are the C. habrosis, C. hastatus, and C. pygmaeus.

These are unique in that 2 of the 3 will spend plenty of time at mid-level (not a typical cat-like area).

They seem to be happy in large groups of 10 or more and the blooping is more spectacular since they have alot further to go then other cories!

Good luck finding some. If you need more info Private message me and I'll give you some contact info!

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

is certainly the easier to find out of the 3...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
MikeWinLDS

Post by MikeWinLDS »

Are there any kind of Cories that get to about 1.5" other than Pandas?
Fish Demon
Location 1: SF Bay Area
Interests: I keep lots of fish, but I am really interested in catfish (especially corys).

Post by Fish Demon »

C. robinae stays pretty small, but they are not very easy to find. They are also very attractive.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
-Natalie

April 20, 2001

Q: How tall is Cartman in real life?

A: Well, Cartman doesn't exist in real life, but if he did he'd be two feet tall.
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

There are a number of Corys in th 1.5 to 2 inch range such as axelrodi, baderi bondi,guapore,loretoensis . I do not know whats available in your area.
Mark
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Mark, I'm in the Phoenix area of Arizona. If you tell me where you are, and if it is anywhere close to me, I'm pretty sure we can find you some pygmies. :D
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”