Raphael cats

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Raphael cats

Post by Taratron »

Has anyone successfully kept spotted raphaels in a planted tank, or would they uproot all the plants? :?:
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Post by Andy »

I think you should go ahead with the spotted raphaels. I haven't had any problems with them digging up plants . Just make sure that you've got either driftwood or some other form of caves in the tank for them to hide in.
jswledhed
Location 1: Temple terrace, Florida

Post by jswledhed »

Don't have any trouble with the two spotted and two striped raphaels in my tanks. they are extremely nocturnal so hiding places are a must. Also, the spots tend to grow in girth much faster that they grow in length, so make sure all caves are nice and broad. 8)
And in the evenin' when the sun is sinkin' low,
And everybody's with the one they love,
I walk the town, keep a-searchin' all around
lookin' for my street corner girl.
brianfl
Location 1: South Florida

Post by brianfl »

I have never had a problem with Raphaels and plants. I've never reallys seen them dig at the substrate. I don't ever see mine during the day, but he is very active at night.
Brian
Taratron

Post by Taratron »

The spotted would be going in a tank (29 gallons) with two banjo cats. Think the ground space is large enough for three spiny kitties?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
brianfl
Location 1: South Florida

Post by brianfl »

You should have plenty of space. Make sure your have hiding spots for all three.
Brian
Taratron

Post by Taratron »

I've read that spotted raphaels sometimes will eat smaller fish in the tank. Does this mean that my peacock gobies and paradisefish will be in danger?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Your paradisefish should be safe. Can't say the same for the peacock gobies, though.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

my kribs managed to raise a brood (albeit three, but with no assistance from me) with my 7 inch P. costatus constantly on the prowl.
spikythefish
Location 1: nyob, USA

Post by spikythefish »

Taratron wrote:I've read that spotted raphaels sometimes will eat smaller fish in the tank. Does this mean that my peacock gobies and paradisefish will be in danger?
my paradisefish is aggressive as heck, if i put a new fish in the tank, he tears it to shreds!i put him in with chompers and he tore up his fins

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”