help! my plec is floating upside down and breathing fast!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
amoonkitty
Location 1: UK

help! my plec is floating upside down and breathing fast!

Post by amoonkitty »

Hello,
I am new to these forums. I hope I haven't posted in the wrong place. :D

:?: I got home from work today and my plec is floating upside down on the botttom of the tank. His breathing is very fast. He has never done this before and does not look very happy. I have had him for 6 years and he is very large. I _really_ don't want to lose him. I recently did a partial water change as the filter packed in. I have a new filter now. I have put in tap water conditioner and also what little stress coat I had left. What's wrong with him and what can I do to help him? I would really appreciate help asap! :cry:
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

Hello - some more information would be helpful. How big is the tank? The fish? You mention the filter packing it in, how long was it down? Any other changes? Tank mates? All the details you can provide are helpful, including details of water tests for pH and such. Good luck!
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Please read the sticky in the Lori forum for reference on what information can help us help you. With that said, a 30% water change can't ever hurt in a situation like that with a fish that's very stressed.

Barbie
JackDonkey
Location 1: Minneapolis, MN

Post by JackDonkey »

I apologize for bumping this old thread.

If you have a planted tank with CO2 injection your plecos will do this when the CO2 starts "dumping"

Return to “Tank Talk”