Banjo Catfish doesn't like the sand?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MikeWinLDS
Location 1: Arizona, USA

Banjo Catfish doesn't like the sand?

Post by MikeWinLDS »

I bought some Carib-Sea Tahitian Moon sand for my Banjo Catfish and my Dojo Weather Loach, but none of them like burrowing into the sand? I think my Dojo has burrowed into gravel before, but that was a long time ago. My Dojo likes to hang out on the sand, but I haven't seen him burrow yet, and my Banjo likes to hang out more on the gravel side of the tank, most of the times on top of the bubble wand or in the leaves of the Rotala. I've spied on him once or twice at night with a flashlight and have seen him hanging out on the sand, but no burrowing. And I thought he'd like the sand... seems like a waste of money now.
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

hi,
i have no personal experience with that sand but some people have told me that brand of sand is kinda rough and refuse to use it in their tanks with fish that live in/on sand (cories, banjos, ect.). maybe he just needs to get used to it?? My banjo digs even in gravel.

good luck
BK
Power To The Pl*cos
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

If I knew where you were located I could offer a recommendation. BUT, since your on PLANET CATFISH, have a nice stay!
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
MikeWinLDS
Location 1: Arizona, USA

Post by MikeWinLDS »

First Silurus and now Pturley. I never quite got what's with the snide elitist comments. My fish aren't outside in a pond or anything, it's a regulated indoor aquarium, just like most normal fish hobbyist have. You guys need to go ask your mothers to teach you some manners, and maybe you'll learn that if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say then keep your mouth shut. It's no wonder I don't frequent this board as often as I do other ones.

Well, we don't know where you live, so we don't know what's available to you naturally or in stores. You guys ever heard of shipping? You can buy stuff online, find people to get you stuff, etc. and have them mail you it. What if you want to know if your fish can survive the winter? Well, the aquarium is heated indoor and the environment is pretty stable 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, < 10 Nitrate. Well, what about substrate, or plants, or decorations, or fish, or filters, or whatever. You ever heard of asking?

I really don't get what's with you guys and having to have your egos stroked every chance you get. BK is having no problems helping out. You don't see him flipping out over something relatively trivial since my aquarium is indoors and I can control a lot of the environment.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Click this link.

If you don't like what you read, don't expect us to take the time, (YES, IT DOES TAKE TIME TO TYPE A RESPONSE!) to type a response to help you out.

Gotta problem with that? Too bad.

EDIT:
Apologies to all the other readers of this thread. Perhaps this should have been sent as a PM.
Should the moderators decide to remove this post, I totally understand.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

The rules are in place to keep this board an environment conducive to intelligent conversation and information sharing, not to stroke our egos or make life difficult for anyone. If you don't want to play by them, please leave.

In addition to a location being required, double posting is not allowed. Please keep all further posts on this subject in the original thread.

Rusty

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”