Unusual BN behavior, malfunctioning mouth?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
nonamethefish
Location 1: CA

Unusual BN behavior, malfunctioning mouth?

Post by nonamethefish »

Okay, here's what info I can get you guys of the tank as of right now

Size: 46 gallon bowfront tank

Temp: Around 72 degrees

Occupants: Right now, just one female bristlenose and 3 bluefin killies. The pleco has been here for around 4 weeks. However, I recently moved out around 20 juvenile swordtails to take to the store, so they may have done somethin to the bioload. Also quite a few MTS in the substrate.

Feeding: The pleco receives Sera catfish chips(which the swords often tried to eat) and thawed spinach and peas. Other fish received flake(the BN nibbled on this, but it was hard to tell if he ate it) and frozen BBs(dissapeared to fast).

Problem: This has been going on for a little while(a week), but while she's scraping algea off the glass, she will suddenly do these agitated movements. It looks as if she's trying to climb higher with his suckermouth, but then he slips down and does it again. Its hard to describe, but she swims up and goes down in rapid succession with pretty exaggerated movements, as if her sucker is having difficulty attaching at the top. It could be normal because she is also scraping algae whiel going down, but it seems pretty weird. I've also seen several times he would come up to the glass and tilt his mouth towards the glass the way the do before the cling to it. Only she doesn't. Sometimes, she appears normal, and othertimes, he shows these funny movements. She is gaining weight, however, and is eating.

Thanks for the help.I'll be off to do another water change soon.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

I have often seen plecos climb the tank wall, then relax and slide back down for no apparent reason. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
ACE1
Location 1: UK grimsby
Interests: CATFISH

Post by ACE1 »

its sounds normal to me mine do it also so i wouldnt worry
GLAD TO HELP OR BE HELPED
nonamethefish

Post by nonamethefish »

I've seen that too, but he's going up and down with pretty exagerated movements. When he slides down, he isn't attached to the glass. Then he kinda swims up and tries to attach again. It kinda looks like he might be irritated by something.

BTw, is it normal for thme to "flex" the cheek spines too?

A random question, but how many of these tablets do you usually use? Im seeing an increase in the MTS population, so I think I may be overfeeding.
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
I've seen that too, but he's going up and down with pretty exagerated movements. When he slides down, he isn't attached to the glass.
That is quite normal.Many plecos do that when a fish or a human is too close to them.
BTw, is it normal for thme to "flex" the cheek spines too?
Yes its normal
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

If for instance you have been overfeeding and not cleaning the bottom of the tank often enough, then there could be a build up of bacteria within the gravel irratating your bristlenose.

How often do you gravel clean the tank?
Try a few 30% changes over the next week and see if it's less agitated.
nonamethefish

Post by nonamethefish »

Sounds possible...as I noticed a jump in the MTs population. From barely unnoticeable to about 50!

Guess that pleco doesn't eat as much as I thought. I'll be sure to give the sand some cleaning soon.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”