8" Pagnasius - possibility or myth?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Elspeth
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kansas City, Missouri

8" Pagnasius - possibility or myth?

Post by Elspeth »

I saw some fish in a local chain store labelled as "Pangasius Cats - Pangasius sutchi - adult size 8 inches." A little background: this store, though a chain, does not carry painted fish and usually labels tankbusters appropriately. Their raphael cats are invisible save for the shelf tag, because they are allowed a large ornament to hide in. When I got my bala sharks, the fishcatcher apologetically quizzed me about my tank size. They aren't saints; their "common plecs" are Liposarcus pardalis labelled as Hypostomus plecostomus and kept crowded under bright light without hidey-holes. BUT they have always seemed to be making more effort than most such stores not to sell too wildly inappropriate fish.

These "pangasius cats" don't look to me like the iridescent sharks I've seen, and they don't seem as flighty as I would expect; but I'm no expert, don't know how quickly they lose the iridescent coloring, or if they go through less flighty stages (or just get tired out). If there is a possibility that these aren't really iridescent sharks under a different name, I'll try for some photographs during the week when they're less busy and see what you all think. IS there such a thing as a pagnasius that is not huge as an adult?

Because this store does make some effort, I'm thinking about talking to the fish department manager or writing a letter about why offering this fish for sale as an aquarium tropical is bad. There might actually be some chance they'd listen.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The smallest species of Pangasius (P. pangasius) still manages 12" full-grown, so it's unlikely that an 8" Pangasius exists (unless maybe the balloon morphs of P. sanitwongsei...I don't know how large these get to).
There are Asian schilbeids sold as dwarf Pangasius (Pseudeutropius), and these reach only 2.5" or so. The other Asian schilbeid that would reach an approximate size of 8" is Laides (which looks very much like a baby Pangasius), but I have never seen these enter the aquarium trade.
ME
Location 1: Canada,Burlington
Interests: asd

Post by ME »

Aparently it is possible http://fish-tank.freeservers.com/pangasius.html i went to this site and they say it grows up to 38" but it will grow to 8" in a regular tank
ME
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

There is an off chance they are actually , which stay much smaller than any real Pangasius.

Rusty
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Aparently it is possible http://fish-tank.freeservers.com/pangasius.html i went to this site and they say it grows up to 38" but it will grow to 8" in a regular tank
Did you read the footnote? Apparently the Pangasius have decided that reaching to only 8" in a tank was not healthy advice for them.
ME
Location 1: Canada,Burlington
Interests: asd

Post by ME »

Alright i guess not :(
ME

Return to “Asian Catfishes”