baby channel and tadpole madtom eatting habit?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
c3
Location 1: PA

baby channel and tadpole madtom eatting habit?

Post by c3 »

How long does it take before baby channels and baby tadpole madtoms start eating?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

You mean from when they hatch?
c3

Post by c3 »

Well silurus, a friend gave them to me, he said they were babies and probally 2 weeks old, do you know when they will start eating? right now they do not eat, they just hide in plants and logs in my tank
brianfl
Location 1: South Florida

Post by brianfl »

I've had several small ones (very small) and they generally eat a lot. Mine have eaten flake, carnivore pellets, shrimp, bloodworm, almost anything, particularly meaty. If you have only had them a few days, it may take them a little while to get used to the tank. You may want to feed them at lights out. Are there any other fish in with them?
Brian
c3

Post by c3 »

brian yes there is, there is a hoplo catfish a lot bigger than them, and a few other fish big i don't know there names, i think they are tiger barbs
brianfl
Location 1: South Florida

Post by brianfl »

Possibly they are a little shy. I have had several channels that wouldn't go after food right away due to other fish in the tank. They would go later and pick up some scraps. If your channels stay in one area, you can try feeding the rest of the tank on one side and the channels on the other side or if you r channels have a hiding place, try to put food right there in the hiding place. If you don't have one, a cave would really be helpful for them. Catfish pellets are usually attractive to them or you could try frozen shrimp, they usually go crazy for that.
Brian
c3

Post by c3 »

brian, well the channel has come out of the hiding place, and pecks around for some food, but the madtom hides in on spot
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Try feeding them after the lights are off.
wizkidd26
Location 1: Hampshire, IL

Post by wizkidd26 »

You can try natural food that they would eat in the wild, that is what's best for the fish, usually. If it is warm enough at your home, you could try soaking your garden with a hose for about a half hour (ONLY if you have a garden that is pesticide free, madtoms are sensitive to everything) and try to see if you can get some small garden worms, if you get them cut them up into half inch peices. Nightcrawlers might be a bit too big for them if they are large ones (too thick in diameter). You could also try catfish bait, cut into small sizes, from the stores, since those fish are attracted to food by smell and taste. Just a couple of suggestions. NIghttime is the best time for catfish to eat because they are mostly nocturnal hunters. Madtoms show this tendency the strongest.

Return to “Other Catfishes”