M. tigrinus and B. juruense

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
evdzwaag
Location 1: netherlands

M. tigrinus and B. juruense

Post by evdzwaag »

I got me a tigrinus and a juruense (both about 15cm) and they are doing great. They eat white musquito larves and feeders, but it would be nice if I could get them on to a frozen diet. Anyone got experience getting them off of live foods? I tried dropping some small pieces of shrimp in front of the tigrinus, but that didn't work(I will keep trying though). I can't do that with the juruense, since he is on top of a branch of wood all the time, so no place to drop the piece of shrimp.
MonkeeFish
Location 1: California
Interests: none

Post by MonkeeFish »

once someone is straving they'll eat anything u give them. so try straving them and then feed the shrimps and see how it works out.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

how large are the fish? I never had any problems with either my juruense or tigrinus, I refuse to feed live fish, they came in eating a variety.
evdzwaag

Post by evdzwaag »

Both fish are about 6"(15cm). By the way Scot Allen, nice leo's you got there. I got some henlei, that seem to turn out being one henlei and one leo, hahaha....dumbass me, not checking the bottom side of the disk. I just recently got the tig and juruense and they were used to feeders and white musquito....I know they will eat other stuff soon, but just thought maybe someone got a trick to get them on to frozen foods.
S. Allen
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

you know what I would suggest, if you've tried feeding with tongs and they don't go for it, try with one of the clear plastic feeding prongs they sell, just stab a bit of scallop or a small piece of shrimp and move it around on there, the tigrinus has been eating all sorts of stuff forever, the juruense actually came in at 4 inches and had a particular affinity for tetramin crisps... he really likes pellets, and so far he won't touch a bit of shrimp or anything, I'm trying to work on that with him. lost my prong or woulda tried that. he's at about 6 or 7 inches now. Tigrinus is hand feeding but I don't know that'll ever happen with the juruense, he's stubborn.
jenkys baby
Location 1: darlington, uk
Interests: rare cats and preditory fish

Post by jenkys baby »

ive just bought a new baby juruence today!!! hes a little belter i got him home poped him into his tank and no longer than 2 minutes had passed and he ate all my baby arowanas blood worm hes sat flat out on the bottom now rocking on his fat belly. well eny way i have a wolf fish and ive been training him on to dead food. all i do is get my white bait,lance fish or what ever tie cotton to its tail and go fishing! just a few jurkes in front of his nose and bang its gone. if that dosent work try tieing it up in the water flow so it moves freely in the flow so u can move away in case u being close is being a problem for them. ive even set up my rod and stood ten feet away to get him to take the bait but its worked. hope it works for you to
a man who takes the long way will always get there in the end (just later than every one else)
evdzwaag

Post by evdzwaag »

Thanx man, I will certainly try that on the juruense. The Tigrinus is off of feeders allready and is eating most everything I offer it.
TCA
Location 1: Michigan
Interests: Aquarium Fish

Tigrinus or juruense

Post by TCA »

Hey all,
Question...how can one tell the diff between the two at only 3" body size (not including long tail filament)?
TCA
S. Allen

Post by S. Allen »

only things I can think of would be the point of origin and possibly don't buy a tigrinus that small from anyone you don't trust absolutely.
katfishguy
Location 1: Miami, FL

Re: Tigrinus or juruense

Post by katfishguy »

TCA wrote:Hey all,
Question...how can one tell the diff between the two at only 3" body size (not including long tail filament)?
I have seen them both at even less than 2",, it is kind of tough for a novice,, but I can easily identify them,, the shape of the head gives u the best idea,, also when around 3" the juruense is more black/brown in color and the tigrinus is greyish. Another thing that would easily differentiate both of them is the way the juruense tries to balance on its fins(kind of a trademark for a juruense) even at small size.
<b>http://www.rarecatfish.net</b>
jenkys baby
Location 1: darlington, uk
Interests: rare cats and preditory fish

Post by jenkys baby »

:nerd: i recently noticed my tiny little juruense balancing on its fins with its nose in the current its only 2" so i guess its definetly there trade mark. His filament on his tail is fantastic realy fine and at least the length of his body its so fine i can bearly see it. Question? are all juruense clumsy mine seems to swim in to every thing in the tank not hard enough to hurt him self but enough for him not to be elegeant around the tank.
a man who takes the long way will always get there in the end (just later than every one else)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”