SYN Angelicus very sick need help

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
steve617
Location 1: Tennessee

SYN Angelicus very sick need help

Post by steve617 »

I have had a Syn Angelicus for about 4 years. He has never been sick untill about a week ago. A gold severum of mine got sick with what looked like Ich. So I had 2 medications in stock. First I used Copper Safe. Raised the temp a couple of degrees around 80. One thermometer says 80 and the other 82. I waited a couple days and they got worse. The young gold severum eventually died. This was a couple days ago. The catfish has gotten a lot worse. It sure looks like Ich. Tiny white spots over body. 3 days ago out of despiration I started dosing Maracide. Still no improving I thought the catfish would be dead by now. He mostly is upside down in a corner ocassionally he swims a little. I noticed around his dorsal fin that it looks torn a little were it joins his back. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Steve
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

Well since it's a dire situation I'd try formalin, aquarium products' "formalin" and jungle's ich guard II are both a good strong 37% solution. Just don't follow jungle's dosing as it may be too strong, do a drop per gallon instead with either of them. Treat every day and do small (under 25%) water changes ever other day. If you can't find formalin in your area try aquarium products' quick cure, it's a mild solution of formalin and malachite green. I use this most of the time but I dose slightly higher than the directions at about 1.25 drops per gallon, and is IS safe for scaleless fish unlike meds that are mostly malachite green.
Just use do a water change and use carbon for a few hours before you switch treatments, and of course take out the carbon before you begin.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tyler
steve617
Location 1: Tennessee

Post by steve617 »

I did a water change and I was amazed he actually came down to the bottom and started scaveging for food. (First food he has eaten in about 3 or 4 days.)He looks pretty rough. He actually lost a small secion of his skin near one of his fins. I know that ich has a short cycle so maybe thangs will get better. He still has all of the tiny spots but the funny thing is other sympoms now like a fin and tail rot with a glassy eye look. These Syn cats are tuff. For now I will treat again tommorow with the Maracide and another water change. By the way I am changing 12 gallons in a 58 gallon tank.

Thanks

Steve

Return to “African Catfishes”