overfeeding an angelicus? when is enough....

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
patrickstockton
Location 1: Portland, Oregon USA

overfeeding an angelicus? when is enough....

Post by patrickstockton »

my crazy mixed tank.....i keep my angelicus in a 100L tank with 4 pseudotropheus species, a tropheus moori "bemba", and L-239 (blue panaque) an L-191 (royal) and a clown pl*co. oh and an electric blue lobster about 4" long. It seems to no bother or be bothered by anyone. He "nibbled" on the head on my blue panaque when i put the blue guy in the tank. but no harm. he hangs out with my Pseudotropheus "Red-top Ndumbi" who doesn't really allow other fish in his "cave". they are buddies. i do notice that my angelicus likes to steal algae wafers from other fish and hoard them for he and his "friend". Anyone have any thoughts on if its possible to overfeed an angelicus. he seems insatiable. i've heard some catfish will eat themselves to death..... will an angelicus?
i feed the entire tank algae wafers and frozen Mysis shrimp. any probs with that and any of my cats?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I've never heard of a catfish eating itself to death, but they WILL eat a lot (and then some) if given the chance. Overfeeding your fish leads to obesity (not to mention a high nitrate load), which may lead to other health problems.
Rich2408
Location 1: United kingdom

Post by Rich2408 »

I sometimes have the same issue, mine can get quite bloated if im not careful feeding. I have 2 angelicus, 2 eupterus and 2 petricola in with about 12 malawi's (labidochromis, dimidichromis, pseudotropheus species) generally I find it good to have set days for not feeding eg mine( all fish) get nothing on a thursday, and very occasionally a weekend. This does not hurt them in any way and I find that it can even be quite beneficial. Wild fish have to look and hunt for food its not dropped uder there noses and any healthy fish should be able to go a week without. It helps keep bio load down on filters also and remember when keeping with c*****ds they are probably breeding so the catfish will be picking of the c*****d fry.
patrickstockton
Location 1: Portland, Oregon USA

Post by patrickstockton »

thanks alot for the thoughts!
Panaque maccus LDA22
Panaque nigrolineatus L190
Ancistrinae L200 - "Spotted Green"
Ancistrinae L239 - "Blue Panaque"
Hisonotus leucofrenatus - "Niger Oto"
Otocinclus flexilis
Otocinclus arnoldi (vittatus????)
Parotocinclus maculicauda - "Red Finned Oto"